View Full Version : Rebuilt title?

Formula_LS1
04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
My buddy is looking at an 02 Z28. Car has about 20k miles and only mods are a full exhaust. I know it would be worth a bit less than something with a clean title but how much does a rebuilt title usually impact the price on something like that? Thanks for the help

Endersshadow
04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
My buddy is looking at an 02 Z28. Car has about 20k miles and only mods are a full exhaust. I know it would be worth a bit less than something with a clean title but how much does a rebuilt title usually impact the price on something like that? Thanks for the help

How much is the seller asking?

Formula_LS1
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
10k OBO

Endersshadow
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
10k OBO

Seems fair if the car is in GREAT shape. I'm always apprehensive about rebuilt titles. What happened to the car?

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Pretty much every Fbody has been raced and or wrecked at some point in its life. If the car drives straight and doesn't have any issues I couldn't see it selling for any less than any other average condition Fbody with similar miles. 10K seems about right.

666 speed
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
When I was looking to trade my GTO a few years ago, $6k was the max offer because of a rebuilt title.

I don't have an issue buying a rebuilt car, just don't expect to get rid of it for any decent price.

Tainted
04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Typically they are worth 30-45% less

matt224
04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Don't expect to be able to resell it for anything. If you are the original owner of the car then you can get something when you sell it, but when owner number 2 or 3 tries to sell that, good luck.

Pennington55
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
All we deal with at my dads carlot is rebuilt title cars. You have to really look the car over. Alot of rebuilt title cars are ghetto rigged to the max and just looking for some idiot to come look at it and buy it. But there are guys that will fix a car the right way and if they know what there doing the car will be good as new and hard to even see where the damage was. Look under the car, in the wheel wells, under the hood and even behind the panels in the rear of the car where the spare tire is. That will tell how it was fixed and how good of a car it will be. We usually sell them about 3-5 grand under wholesale.

02 NHRA
04-20-2012, 01:08 AM
I bought a rebuilt titled car (my bird) and it has turned out to be the most reliable car I've ever owned. I think it would have be taken case by case...not all rebuilt cars are equal, but if done right there should be nothing wrong with the car.

AronZ28
04-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Despite the low mileage, I still think 10k is way too high. I'd say somewhere in the $6500-8000 range. Rebuilt title cars are a HARD sell when you want to get rid of it.

_JB_
04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
If you're going to keep it forever, then check it over really well. Otherwise selling will be a bitch, and I think the price is high as well.

supernova1972
04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I looked at rebuilt title vehicle once and the bank told me they couldn't do any loans on them. May have just been my bank, but unless you have cash you may want to check on that.

02 NHRA
04-24-2012, 06:45 AM
^^^ this. I had to have a good chunk of the purchase price before the bank would even think about it. My loan officer said "not because there is anything wrong with the car, its just they are hard to put a price on when figuring value."

NC01TA
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Despite the low mileage, I still think 10k is way too high. I'd say somewhere in the $6500-8000 range. Rebuilt title cars are a HARD sell when you want to get rid of it.

Perfect response and right on the money.

Finkledbody
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM

This.

BrianSF-GA
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Typically they are worth 30-45% less

One can typically figure closer to 45% off retail on an fbody. Only consider a salvage title if you plan to keep it forever or race it ... banks will not loan on it, dealers won't accept as a trade and they can be difficlult to insure.

I wholeheartedly agree with this one, but probably closer to the $6,500 mark. Be prepared for it's value to fall like a rock!

I looked at rebuilt title vehicle once and the bank told me they couldn't do any loans on them. May have just been my bank, but unless you have cash you may want to check on that.

Not just your bank, but I have never heard of a bank that was willing to finance a salvage car.

With AutoCheck and CarFax, it is best even to stay away from any vehicle that has an accident on the report. It is getting harder and harder to sell or trade such cars and, remember, just because a vehicle has a clean AutoCheck or CarFax does not mean it has not been wrecked, damaged or re-sprayed. Look at it hard and if you don't know what to look for, take the car to someone who does know how to spot previous body damage or re-sprays and never, never, never believe a dealer when he says "it's never been wrecked because it has a clean CarFax!"

Cars and trucks have fallen into two price groups ... clean AutoChecks/CarFax's and those that do NOT have clean AutoChecks/CarFax's .

wooddaniel
04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
5 Grand @ most is what I would offer and go from there. Despite the mileage. You can get one with a non rebuilt title and a few more miles for 6-7 grand.

cartel
04-25-2012, 08:16 PM
locally rebuilds go about 30% less..

but there are good and bad-- i know a lot that does them and they go thru the entire car and guarantee it.. they sell about 20% less..

and i have seen some at 30% less that i wouldnt want to own..

its not the title -- its WHO did the repairs -

gocartone
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
This.

Agreed. Go to KBB or NADA and check out the retail price, half of that is what I would go by. Most people selling them are going to tell you off when you tell them that only to have their car sit for a year or more. When talking cheaper normal cars I don't see it being a big issue (less than $4k cars); but a sports car is never going to be the same after being totaled IMO.