Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Determining aftermarket pistons/rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Determining aftermarket pistons/rods

If I have a motor on stand, is it easy to determine if the rods are aftermarket and/or the brand? The pistons are supposed to have valve reliefs, but is there also a way to determine brand on them? A stamp somewhere?

I won't see the engine until tomorrow morning. They're supposed to be forged h-beam rods and Wiseco pistons.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the motor is a shortblock, it will be easy to tell. There is no mistaking the factory rod for a forged H-beam rod. Also look for ARP hardware to be in the rods, that is also another way to tell. True you can get ARP hardware for the stock rods, but most people don't bother. ARP 8740's usually come with most H-beams.

As far as the pistons go, there is no visual similarity what so ever. I believe Wiseco, like most piston manufactures have their logo stamped in the underside of the piston. Perhaps bring a flashlight so you can get a good look in there. If the motor have never been run this will be easier to tell.

From the top side, the factory pistons have a circular dot on them to mark the front of the piston. Diamond traditionally uses an F, not sure what Wiseco does though.

Good Luck!