Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A body peeps, how much clearance? pass head to firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A body peeps, how much clearance? pass head to firewall?

Dont know if this has been asked before as i couldnt find a thread here.

Im just wondering where your engine sits in your engine bay. Im pretty sure each year may be a little different on the firewall design but it gives us all something to consider when we drop the engine in.
I figured a good way for us all to know is by how much distance is your passenger head to the firewall? as the head is further back than the drivers side head.
And what oil pan are you using as this plays a big part in where it will or can sit?
Maybe post the year also if it isnt in your sig.
I have a stock fbody pan and its about less than a finger away from the firewall. The engine is pretty far back and could maybe go more but i think its already too close but workable if i have to do it. The tranny is close to the floor pan also it seems. If it were forward a little more it may give me more room on the tranny.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adapter plates make all the difference... I'm using the Doug's SK100 in the more forward position. I could just about fit a fbody pan but decided to just buy the cts-v pan. My pan will hang like 1/4" below crossmember. Have plenty of clearance behind head. Going to test fit headers today with my mock up block so I'll grab some pics.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1971 Chevelle, I am using a CTS-V pan with the early BRP style plates. It requires you to move the Frame Stands. My pan is about 1" below the X-Member.

I have about 3/8" - 1/2" between my Passenger side head and the firewall. But I was looking to move the engine as far back as I could to help out on weight distribution, Not much but some.

With the BRP style of mounting the engine, it is possible to use a F-Body pan, but it is very tight on both the firewall and the crossmember. I had 1st done my swap with the F-Body pan, but didn't like it being so close to the Crossmember and I didn't want to notch that part of the Crossmember any. So I looked for something else, I came up with the CTS-V pan at a good price back in 05' and it has worked out ok since with the exception of scraping the pan some on large speed bumps.

Yes if your using a T56.. moving the engine trans forword does help in the Tran Tunnel area.. But I chose to move low and back. So I had to live with the lower pan and building a new Trans tunnel.

For my 1971 Nova, I am using a Holley (1st line RetroLSx pan) and Edelbrock (clones) 1" setback plates. Pan is about even with the Crossmember, I have about 3/4" between the firewall and passenger side head. Lots of room for the pan to Steering links.

BC
Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used these mounts HOK-12624HKR (0.5" forward)

and the Autokraft oil pan.

I will have to measure clearance to the firewall but it is fairly tight and the oil pan is almost touching the crossmember.

So far it is working well but there is some reduced turning radius from the tie rods hitting the oil pan. From looking around I am not sure any of the oil pans could avoid this though and I did not want to raise the engine up any higher than it needed to be so I will live with it until I can come up with a solution.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The A-Body is front steer, if the rod end are contacting the pan, you would have to move the engine back if possible (guess not in your case), or raise the engine some to clear the rod ends. Many have spaced the frame stands up to get the clearance (warning, if you raise the engine, you might have Bellhousing or trans clearance issues with firewall/tunnel.

BC

Quick Reply: A body peeps, how much clearance? pass head to firewall?