Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supra mk3 manual transmissions options

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supra mk3 manual transmissions options

Planning out my MK3 Supra swap and I have not yet decided on a manual transmission. Goal is 400-450hp daily driver from a 4.8 or 5.3 vortec engine. Budget for project is about $8k. Disclaimer: this is my first swap. I've spent hours and hours researching this, but I haven't come across a lot of great info.

From what I've gathered, my other options are:

T-56: obviously preferred tranny. Everything would likely be great, minus the price (junkyards say ~$1500 for one with under 100k miles, $1k for 150k+ miles). Downside is that this would require expanding the trans tunnel. And I am not sure how I would handle the crossmember. Would also need to reposition shifter hole, get a custom driveshaft, and convert the speedo from mechanical to electric (right?), and figure out the hydraulics. Can't find too much information on how bad the tunneling would be, but I'm guessing "not too fun."

TKO 500/600: looks to be $2k+. Hard to justify dropping that much on a transmission for a $500 engine... but maybe that's how it goes? Would also need to do all of the above (I think). Not sure how it would do in the trans tunnel (researching now).

R154: this is the Supra turbo transmission. Supra people say it can handle 400-500ftlbs depending on how you drive it, but there isn't a lot of consensus. I'm guessing I'd break it randomly (could be 10 miles, could be 30k). Another downside is that adapting it to the motor would be difficult and expensive (Darrow in Aus makes a kit for it, but it appears to be ~$1500 - is there a cheaper way to adapt it?). Upside is that the trans is less than $300, so even if I blow it up, it won't be too expensive to replace. Provided I don't have to replace the adapter (right?). Other upside includes easier mounting since the car is designed for his transmission.

There are also a bunch of lesser rated manual trans. T5, AR-5, and some others. Most of these aren't rated beyond 250ftlbs or so. These would be nice because they are also ~$300, but I think they would just break. And I'd have the same expenses I'd have with the T-56.

What am I overlooking or misunderstanding? As mentioned, this is my first build and I still getting a handle on things. Any thoughts or opinions? Additional resources?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

I have a TKO600 on my 5.3. I don't recommend it unless its an upgraded unit. In stock form its loud and very difficult to hit third with sometimes. Its pretty notchy, but I don't mind a mechanical feel from my shifter. On the plus side, it fits my Z31 very well and is known to take loads of abuse.

I wish I had gone with a T56 or an upgraded TKO like what Liberty Gear (and several others) offers. Google the 3rd gear problem before you buy one.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

I would modify the trans tunnel and go t56.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

I would think r154 will hold that power level and Novak conversions sell a bell housing for jeep conversions ls to jeep ax15 trans which happens to have the same bolt pattern as the Toyota r154. might be something worth looking into.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

I had a r154 for my project and bought the Novac adaptor, there is a guy on here that bought it and it planning for it to be behind his ls motor, it will hold that fine.

John
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Great - thanks for the responses. Leaning heavily towards the R154 with the Novac adapter (which is only about $400). I think it would save money, time, and stress. All of these are pretty important for a first build.

Now I continue searching for a MK3 Supra Turbo with a blown gasket at a decent price.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Teching In

I bought the setup from dueces and replied to your post at sm.com.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trav-tech
I would think r154 will hold that power level and Novak conversions sell a bell housing for jeep conversions ls to jeep ax15 trans which happens to have the same bolt pattern as the Toyota r154. might be something worth looking into.
This is what I used for my LS3 into a E36 M3. Fits straight on with a LS7 flywheel and clutch cover. Had to use a different center plate (I cant remember exactly which one but it came from a landcruiser or some other big 4x4) It should stand up to reasonable power as there are some very quick Supra turbos out there with standard transmissions. If it doesnt then I have a couple sitting on a shelf here that cost me less than £500 for both of them. The other advantage is the shift which is very slick and light.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Default Does anyone know which would be easier?

So what I've gathered from the thread is that either an NV3500 or an R154 with the Novak adapter for a jeep is the best option for an ls swapped Supra, does anyone know which one would be easier as far as speedo, driveshaft, differential, engine harness?
I'm guess I would need a new driveshaft and differential and possibly a new axel if I go with the NV3500(same with T56 and TKO) anyone know how much modification this would take? Do I need to replace all of that? And if so I'm gonna have to mount it all custom to the frame right?
Now if I go with the R154 how the hell am I gonna get a harness for an LSX that will go to an R154?? Custom? Also would the R154 fit in the Supra without a problem? Orginal drivetrain from the tranny back? One last thing, my Supra is an 87 automatic, for the manual swap should I go with an MK3 clutch pedal set or should I go with one out of a Chevy(if I go with a Chevy trans) so it works with the tranny? Thank you guys anything helps

Quick Reply: supra mk3 manual transmissions options