LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Flywheels

Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Flywheels

Okay I put a Street twin and aluminum flywheel in the TA last yr. Right off the bat it vibrated badly. Shoulda listened to the directions and had it balanced. So after a year of sitting on the trailer- i am finally getting it back out to have it balanced.

So the shop that is gonna balance the assembly. They wanted to know if I have the stock F/W, which i don't- I tossed it after putting in the Mcleod. I had assumed the flywheel was nuetral, since they internally balanced my 383's rotating assembly. but that was almost 10 yrs ago- and have long lost any paperwork from the build.

Now doing research i am reading that the stock motors are externally balance using a weight on the flywheel. There was a thin metal strip on the flywheel that came out of the car.

With out the stock flywheel, what am I to do? Am I screwed? scrap the whole motor(I'd part out the car at this point)?

Any Ideas?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If your rotating assy. is internally balanced they don't need any reference. They just need to zero balance the flywheel/pressure plate while the two are bolted together. That's it.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thank Goodness- I was skeered for a minute there! Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

I used the RAM aluminum flywheel and love it, I was told that the aluminum flywheel's are a waste of money but I injoyed it. I never had a problem with any vibrations with my buildI agree with what SS said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Flywheels