Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Mod assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Mod assistance.

I have a 98 Z28 M6 I'm trying to figure out what mods to do on a budget.I may be getting a cam.I want to try and save up for heads.I have been checking prices on long tubes.any suggestions.What about a new LS6 intake?Or can I just do the EGR mod on mine.Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blackLS1
I have a 98 Z28 M6 I'm trying to figure out what mods to do on a budget.I may be getting a cam.I want to try and save up for heads.I have been checking prices on long tubes.any suggestions.What about a new LS6 intake?Or can I just do the EGR mod on mine.Thanks guys.
Mods are just dependent on what you expect out of your car(street-cruiser, street/strip, drag-only, auto-x, show etc.) and how far you want to take it. If you're planning on making it more of a contender at the track your cam and heads thing sounds like a good idea. If you're just wanting to upgrade a little I'd just stick with basic bolt-ons for intake and exhaust and then put a shift kit in for your driving pleasure. That's basically what I'm going to finish up doing and then I'll see where I stand after that.

Justin
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

P.S.: Getting a LS6 is totally different from just deleting EGR from your current setup.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much are you looking to spend?? The EGR is a free mod so do that for $0, i'm not to shure what the ls6 intake costs, but if it were $150-$200 ($300 would be to much $ for the hp gain, for me atleast) and I think you can get about 10-15 hp from it so in my mind that would be a good mod. If you have enough $ for headers and y-pipe, well by all means go for it!!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch!! I just looked up a LS6 (by SLP) and it was $465!!!! I'm shure if you have time to look on ebay and FS sections on f-body sites you should be able to find one much cheaper
Old 03-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The best bang for the buck is always nitrous.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Launching!

If you install nitrous have someone do it who knows what they are doing and put the safety options. Do the FRA mod, get an aftermarket airlid and filter, loudmouth setup, headers and cam. The heads flow dam well on these cars. I don't know if 2grand is good unless you seriously want to get everything out of the car. I would purchase proven heads and not just have some do head work. I've never seen them come out right. Catback and headers first then the cam...you will be pretty freaking happy.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you are planning on getting a cam, you will want to get headers first. it would be backwards to get the cam first then the headers. ive got slp lt's on mine. my only complaint with them is the ground clarance, everthing else about them is great. it also cant hurt to do the free mods. like unforgin said, it all depends on how far you want to take it, and what you want your car to do for you. good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 03-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys.I plan to get the long tubes,do the free mods and try for some true duel exhaust.Than move on to cam and eventually heads.I want to have a street/strip car.I just want a well rounded powerful street car.