Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which wideband with HP Tuners pro

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which wideband with HP Tuners pro

I'm looking for a wideband that I can mount in my a pillar gauge pod but can also plug into my hp tuners pro. Is there one that is that much better than the other? I was looking at the AEM but wanted to get opinions before I pulled the trigger.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

I'm in the same boat. I dont necessarily need data logging abilities, but my Autometer wideband sucks ***. Dont get one of those. I think from what I'm reading, the AEM is the best, and its fairly low cost.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thats kinda what I was thinking too but wanted someone that had good sucess with one to chime in. Maybe we will both get our answer.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the a em and using for data logging as well. For the money you can't beat it but some tuners will think different.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from the AEM... best wideband for your money is going to be the NGK AFX! Do yourself a favor and buy it instead of the JUNK AEM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

I use the AFX to tune with but i have a dynojet gauge/sensor permanently mounted in my car. dynojet makes an adapter harness that allows you to use the gauge AND scan/log at the same time. i don't have that harness, but i know they make it and its relatively inexpensive.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

The LC1 will log and run the gauge also. Used on for a few years in the DSM with no problems, so i got another to use in the camaro.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Innovate in stock! PM me for pricing!

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/index.html1

Last edited by Beau@SDPC; 04-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

^i've also owned a LC-1 (still do) and they work great....tricky to wire up properly, but they work great.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have LM2. So far I wish I had ordered something else. You supposedly have to run a chassis ground to get a smooth signal but I have not has a chance to try it so I am getting a jagged line on my graph. Also wish I could find one without all the stuff I don't need like OBD2 scan capabilities and a dozen I.O.s I already have with HPT pro.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

How does a zeitronix o2 stack up? With theirs it seems you can do so much more than just an o2.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Stay away from the AEM... best wideband for your money is going to be the NGK AFX! Do yourself a favor and buy it instead of the JUNK AEM.
+1 AFX is the only one worth buying IMO.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
I have had my AEM for over a year and have had no issues with it. I have had pretty good luck with it I guess. Can you provide hard data on why you thing the AEM wideband is Junk. This could help myself along with others that will be purchasing widebands in the futures.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

I've tuned and ran a PLX wideband for years now in numerous cars with zero issues. Innovate widebands have always given me issues and need too frequent calibration for me.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

I have the AEMsin stock as well as the Innovates. Had good luck with the Innovate MTX ones!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
I have had my AEM for over a year and have had no issues with it. I have had pretty good luck with it I guess. Can you provide hard data on why you thing the AEM wideband is Junk. This could help myself along with others that will be purchasing widebands in the futures.
Check this out

Originally Posted by Frost
besides the noisy output, that's what is wrong with the AEM though... it uses a constant reference (cal resistor) for output determination vs. what is real and changing... I know it's easier, but you know the saying about easier

Originally Posted by Frost
For consumer level choices I like the AFX followed by the LM1.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
I don't have data to present other than my experiences with it. I used to tune with an Innovate LM-1 have also had a LC-1 (personally thought it was next inline to the nearest POS of a wideband). I had 2 different AEM widebands to compare against my LM-1. Put both widebands in my exhaust and tuned the car off the LM-1. Through the week of testing the Innovate's lambda/afr reading was consistant each day however one day the AEM would read as high as 15.8-15.9 and as low as 13.4-13.5 consistantly at cruise when the tune was dialed in to 14.7 and showing that on the LM-1. I then ditched the AEM.

A customer had an AEM he had just installed in his car and I insisted on using mine since I knew the previous results with the AEM on my personal setup, same deal with his!

Fast forward to a couple years back when I converted to the NGK AFX I did a back to back WOT pull with both widebands installed and the LM-1 was reading 12.9-13.0 like I had tuned the car to. The NGK was reading 11.9-12.0 telling me the Innovate LM-1 was a full point off at WOT. Sure that's safe however not what I'm looking for when I want to make power. Retuned the car with the NGK and picked up 2-3mph at the track!

From a tuner standpoint the NGK is hands down the best and most accurate wideband of any mentioned in this thread PERIOD!

There is one other alternative wideband I would consider as well, the Haltech Dual Channel wideband. I used one of those in my 403 setup in my Sig and also did some comparing with my NGK tuning wideband and they read identical readings between them. The plus side to the Haltech is it's capable of running 2 widebands and has an analog output for each one. There is also round gauges available for it as well. Only drawback is currently it only supports Bosch sensor's. NGK supports Bosch and NTK senors! I personally use NTK sensor's for tuning customer car's with.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you James. In my opinion this is what needs to be passed on to the new comers instead of saying they are junk. For me, I guess its time to order a new wideband.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, Ed Hutchins (edcmat-l1) recommended the NGK to me when I asked him what wideband he preferred.

If you hit up the HPtuner forum on their website you will see that alot of people that do the tuning on their own rides as well as some tuners that tune for shops stand by the NGK as well.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

You will also see Greg Banish talk about the NGK wideband as well. ECM the company that makes the Lambda Pro is the same company that designed the NGK wideband. We are looking to upgrade our shops wideband to a Lambda Pro here pretty soon just to have that added accuracy for tuning. In the end the quality of the tune can only be as good as your interpretation of your gauges and data they present. IMO I would want the most accurate of the bunch!

Quick Reply: Which wideband with HP Tuners pro