Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side header problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side header problems

Installing a set of SS SLP LT's on a 98 z28. Got the driver side in. had to shove a little bit but it wasnt to bad. However I am fighting this passenger side and am almost out of options and am tired of scratching the header trying to get it in.Ive got the starter removed completley and it wouldnt go in.tried tapping on it with a hammer and a piece of wood but still no luck. Decided to pull the motor mount bolt so i had to take off Ac compressor and bracket to get the bolt out. Lowered the lift back down with a jack under the motor and lifted/tilted the motor a solid inch and it still doesnt seem like it wants to go in. appears the last pipe and flange around it is hitting against the body of the car about 1 inch before the back of the head.On the topside I still have coils on and have plug wires and spark plugs in but none of that is even affecting where Im at.AC dryer and lines have also been removed. Since these headers are street legal (meaning AIR and EGR) im wondering if thats causing a problem. I left the shop a few hours ago but am almost wondering if I can drop them in from the top side. My only other option is to pull alternator and remove other motor mount bolt and lift engine up higher to see if I can get enough clearance. Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Take the coil packs and wires off so you can tell where you are hitting from the top. My headers (brand unknown) slid right in with the starter still in place without touching the 120k mile mounts. I honestly don't see how you got the bolts out with the coils still bolted up.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Take the coil packs and wires off so you can tell where you are hitting from the top. My headers (brand unknown) slid right in with the starter still in place without touching the 120k mile mounts. I honestly don't see how you got the bolts out with the coils still bolted up.
The wires are off.the coil packs are not in the way at all.Im mostly hitting the body itself near the firewall and the k member (although ive grinded it back some).I can see everything fine.Im using a lift wiith a spotlight on top. The bolts came out easy. 3/8 ratchet to break the manifold bolts and turned them out with a gearwrench no problem. back was slightly hard to get the wrench on but once i had it on there it wasnt a big deal.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I bent/pushed the A/C lines back carefully and took off the PS valve cover off and my OBX's went in from the top on that side.

There was no way they were going in from the bottom.

DS was no problem they went up easily.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transamtom
I bent/pushed the A/C lines back carefully and took off the PS valve cover off and my OBX's went in from the top on that side.

There was no way they were going in from the bottom.

DS was no problem they went up easily.
im going down now so im going to mess with it. id prefer to not pull other motor mount bolt out just because access is a pita for it.Ill let you know what i find out
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

ended up taking bolts out of k member and lowering it about 2 inches. they slid right in no problem. I had motot mount lited as high as it could go and there still wasnt even close to enough room.Beware if your doing Slp's you may have to do this on the passenger side. Not horrible just wish I would have known beforehand. would have saved a lot of time and frustration trying to shove and tap in a hole they wont fit through.

Quick Reply: Passenger side header problems