Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUMMIT RACING LS1 valve covers

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUMMIT RACING LS1 valve covers

Have any heard of any news on these? i want a pair or tall fab covers and they look like the cheap ones i got off ebay that leak and don't fit. Anyone??
Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Ttttttt
Old 04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

My advise: anything sporting the "summit brand" logo and is NOT produced by a well know manufacturer (made in china) is never up to par in quality in many aspects. PM me for several examples..
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

your right cause they look identical to the cheap no fitting suckers i got off ebay, only reason i got them is because i upgraded to ls6 heads and needed center bolt covers and the price was right but i got what i paid for, polished door stops, thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Often Summit stuff is rebranded American stuff, not just Chinese knockoffs.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

These covers I bought off eBay are so bad they not only leak but the rocker arms are hitting the inside of the cover.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Default aluminum covers

You have to watch out ,some of those aluminum covers look good but have no stanchions or legs inside the cover like the stock ones and are impossible to get the rear bolt aligned to tighten down the cover on the 4th gen camaros and like the post above me states leak oil good luck
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I took a chance and ordered a set of these valve covers. Initially I was pleased - The packaging is very good, the welding is great, and the finish is ok. Then I went to install them and I was not so pleased. Even though there are long tubes for the mounting bolts the bolts are long and there is still quite a distance from the base of the tube to the tapped hole in the head. Since there is nothing to guide the bolt after it goes thru the tube you just have to get lucky to get the bolt aligned & threaded into the hole. Getting the 1st bolt started is even more fun since there's nothing to keep the VC in place. The back hole is really a treat on a 4th Gen F-Body. I will probably end up making a steel sleeve for the bottom of the tube or something to keep the bolt straight. Also I had to slide the VC around on the head to make sure the gasket was on the head surface. I must have done it right because they don't leak. Anyway, I'm not returning them but I'll sure let Summit know they have a problem.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Launching!

those are rpc reboxed, same as the ebay ones, work great when new with new hardware and gaskets, I had to replace the grommets and gaskets everytime I took them off just so they wouldn't leak. finally got tired of dealing with them and got the preform slant valve covers, next cheapest available for ls motors, but the quality is sooo much better
Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.0 LsX
those are rpc reboxed, same as the ebay ones, work great when new with new hardware and gaskets, I had to replace the grommets and gaskets everytime I took them off just so they wouldn't leak. finally got tired of dealing with them and got the preform slant valve covers, next cheapest available for ls motors, but the quality is sooo much better
Ouch. That adds insult to injury - I paid more for the Summit units thinking they'd be better. I was 'this' close to getting the Hamburger VCs from Summit but I couldn't justify paying $90 more. Oh well. Good thing I don't take mine off that often, otherwise I'd probably be replacing gaskets too.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Ouch. That adds insult to injury - I paid more for the Summit units thinking they'd be better. I was 'this' close to getting the Hamburger VCs from Summit but I couldn't justify paying $90 more. Oh well. Good thing I don't take mine off that often, otherwise I'd probably be replacing gaskets too.
they work great while they are new, and if you don't have a reason to remove them often then you shouldn't have any issues. best looking covers for the price imo
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those crome ones sure looks nice
Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well they are not 'chrome' but polished aluminum. The quality is pretty good - I just wish they had been designed better so the bolts could be installed easier. Looking more closely - The Hamburber units look identical to the Summit ones I bought!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SUMMIT RACING LS1 valve covers