Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plug change done

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default plug change done

Damn devil plug (#8)........ took about 40 min. Broke the ceramic and couple of knuckles, but it got done. My hands are way to big for this change for sure..... All the plugs looked good for 72k and they had a little white to the ground strap. I heard detonation before the change and now I hear none.

just wanted to share... thanks for the search archive and installuniversity
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice. im not lookin forward to it but its on the list. good to hear it wasn't too bad for you.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just swapped TR55's/MSD's into mines this past week, took me 4 hours just to do the drivers side Main problem was that I kept dropping my ratchets and losing stuff, the usual novice mistakes, if that didn't keep happening I would have shaved off a lot of time. Also, I learned that going underneath is the way to knock out that #8 plug.

If you have a car with over 50-60k, I would highly recommend doing a plug/wire change. I was surprised with how much better my car ran afterwards. The throttle feels like it's more responsive and I'm definitely getting better gas mileage. So, I feel like it was worth the trouble.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a way easier job with headers. Maybe 15 minutes max. With stock manifolds, not so fun.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cranny
It's a way easier job with headers. Maybe 15 minutes max. With stock manifolds, not so fun.
Should have waited till I got my headers on there I guess...... Oh well.

Started at 4:30 and was done around 6:30... If not for #8 plug (40-45 min), it would have taken me about an hour. I know some tricks now though..... Go ahead and take the coil rack completely off.... This will give you much needed room to get that extra 2 inches to break loose the #8 plug. I used a ratchet and 5/8 plug socket to get that sucker out. No extensions or swivels.... Maybe next time I will ramp the car and try from below.

Oh yeah... make sure you connect the wire to the coil pack BEFORE you tighten the rack back down. #8 is like something out of an Indiana Jones movie for christ's sake. Tore my hands all up.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definately do the number 8 from underneith. There is a slot there that your hand and arm fits up prfectly. Just dont forget the anti-seeze on that plug because if not it can be a pain.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i was about to say the one in-front of 8 was harder for me 7 or 6 maybe 8 from the bottom was pretty easy, after i crawled under the car i have lts though