Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck/towing header question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck/towing header question

OK, so I'm reading conflicting things regarding headers and low-end torque for towing. I'm possibly going to be putting a 6.0 LQ4 into a '97 C2500HD to replace a Vortec 350 and will want to put headers on it. I've always been under the impression that Long Tubes were ideal for increased low-end torque, but I've recently had some truck people tell me that shorties are better for towing torque? I'm confused now, haha. HELP!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Air in air out makes power and torque. Don't buy into the "backpressure makes torque" bullshit.

A 6.0 with a good full exhaust and a decent towing cam will out pull that vortec 350 all day long.

Where people get confused is the power band shift that comes with long tubes. It will shift power from the low end to the top end which feels like a torque loss, when in reality it's there, and more, just higher in the rpm's.

If you get a good towing cam that matches everything else on the engine, you can have gobs of low end torque and plenty of mid and high range power to surprise a few mustangs.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tuned length (LT) headers will give the best low-end hp/tq, that's if you can find some for your application, otherwise get get unequal length LT headers.
Don't waste your time on shorty headers
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Long tubes it is then Doubtful that there is a set of tuned length headers available for these trucks for a not so unreasonable price. I did find a set of LT's on Summit for like $250 though, I'll probably just go with those, swap to a newer ECU, and tune it with HPTuners. Thanks guys!

Actually, it was these guys here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8059/

Last edited by kendogg; 04-28-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also look into a tri-y. They tend to help out on the low end more and would probably be better than unequal length if you can't find a set of tuned lt's.

Quick Reply: Truck/towing header question