PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD tune for FI?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SD tune for FI?

I plan on switching my car over to SD for my procharger setup.
What is all need to do so. 2bar map, Delete the MAF . I'm drawing a blank here with this stuff. I'd like to buy hp tuners and start to learn how to tune. Thanks in advance

Last edited by 02LS1ram; 04-27-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

You will need a 2bar operating system as well, because you won't be able to take advantage of the additional MAP sensor range without it.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

What is the deal with the Turbo Cobalt MAP sensor, is that an option??? Or do you still need to update HPT to 2bar?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump. Ok also can u use the factory IAT or do I need a diffenrt one?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Checkmate
What is the deal with the Turbo Cobalt MAP sensor, is that an option??? Or do you still need to update HPT to 2bar?
You need a 2 bar sensor (like the Cobalt sensor) - but, for an LS1, you also need to put a custom operating system into the PCM in order to utilize the signal from the 2 bar sensor... one won't work without the other...
Newer E38 and E67 PCMs have the capability built in and don't need a custom operating system...

Originally Posted by 02LS1ram
Bump. Ok also can u use the factory IAT or do I need a diffenrt one?
You can use the factory IAT...
Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
You need a 2 bar sensor (like the Cobalt sensor) - but, for an LS1, you also need to put a custom operating system into the PCM in order to utilize the signal from the 2 bar sensor... one won't work without the other...
Newer E38 and E67 PCMs have the capability built in and don't need a custom operating system...

You can use the factory IAT...

Thank you that was the answer I was looking for. So that operating system can be loaded via hptuners correct?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Thank you that was the answer I was looking for. So that operating system can be loaded via hptuners correct?
You are correct. You will use hptuners to reflash the ecu with the appropriate os for your application. On a side note; you can most definitively use the factory iat sensor, but it the open element model has a faster transient response, and is plug and play. You can go to the parts store and ask for p/n 25037225. It also has a 3/8"-18 pipe thread which sometimes makes it easier to integrate into your intercooler plumbing.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brad Campbell
You are correct. You will use hptuners to reflash the ecu with the appropriate os for your application. On a side note; you can most definitively use the factory iat sensor, but it the open element model has a faster transient response, and is plug and play. You can go to the parts store and ask for p/n 25037225. It also has a 3/8"-18 pipe thread which sometimes makes it easier to integrate into your intercooler plumbing.

Ok I'll pick up a new IAT this week (open style).
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also will the placement of the IAT sensor in the IC piping make it more difficult to tune? I do plan on spraying meth so I need to figure out weather to have the nozzle pre or post IAT sensor

Last edited by 02LS1ram; 05-06-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Also will the placement of the IAT sensor in the IC piping make it more difficult to tune? I do plan on spraying meth so I need to figure out weather to have it have the nozzle pre or post IAT sensor
I don't use meth injection, but I am familiar with the various tricks you can use to tune it well. My piece of advice would be to do one thing at a time. Get your FI tune setup well before you start spraying.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 PM
9 Second Club

Don't spay the IAT sensor with meth... Tuning with meth is similar to tuning without - use the dyno to tell you what the car wants - start off conservative and work up slowly... If possible (if your boost isn't too much), tune it off the meth first, and then tune it on meth - that way, you also have a non-meth tune in case you need it...
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Understood guys. Got another Q for ya's now I've heard of guys using the IAT as a fail safe, just incase the the meth pump fails. What do u think about that. I know above u said you don't wanna spray the sensor with meth. I plan to get and alkycontrol kit which is top notch and shouldn't have to worry bout pump failing. Do u think that it is nesscery or not. Just wanna hear what other ppl think since I'm green when it comes to tuning
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Blk02ws6 - Are you saying you should run the IAT sensor before the meth injection?

Ive had mine on post-meth for 5 years and have never had an issue. Of course its a ways away.

OP, I highly recommend tuning with meth (first without to see how the car reacts, then with to make small changes). But I use it differently then a lot of people, I prefer to use it as a saftey feature instead of using it to get more hp. With your meth, a cheap alternative is a blue window washer fluid that is -20 or more. Or you can step up to a 50/50 mix. But for anything thats mostly street driven it wont really matter.

Depeding on the amount of boost you want to run it will determine your MAP sensor. a 2bar reads up to 14psi, a 3 bar reads up to 33psi. So if your planning on ever running mroe then 14, you will need a 3bar. I have the ones for aeroforcetech.com and they have been great. I also highly recommend a scan gauge like the aeroforce interceptor gauge. Its a little pricey, but it will EASILY save you that much in damage being able to always monitor what they vehicle is doing. It even alerts you if/when you get knock! So you know to get out of it, and that something is wrong instead of causing damage. So, if something like your meth pump failed and the car was detonating, you would know.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 05-07-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Don't spay the IAT sensor with meth... Tuning with meth is similar to tuning without - use the dyno to tell you what the car wants - start off conservative and work up slowly... If possible (if your boost isn't too much), tune it off the meth first, and then tune it on meth - that way, you also have a non-meth tune in case you need it...

If my pulley combo is right I should be in the 10-12 psi area

Search this Thread