View Full Version : Thinking about getting a G8

IZRED
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Right now I have a 12' Charger RT, but I'm thinking about getting a G8 GT because of tuning capabilities. There's no tuning software for 11' and up Charger RT's and SRT8's, {don't know if there ever will}. What I was wanting to know is how hard is it to buy/find parts for the G8? Are parts expensive? It sucks that the G8 only lasted 2 years.

BEN2007SS
04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Right now I have a 12' Charger RT, but I'm thinking about getting a G8 GT because of tuning capabilities. There's no tuning software for 11' and up Charger RT's and SRT8's, {don't know if there ever will}. What I was wanting to know is how hard is it to buy/find parts for the G8? Are parts expensive? It sucks that the G8 only lasted 2 years.Parts are not bad and with the 5th Gen Camaro there are more parts that can be used from. Great car love mine put's a smile on my face every time I drive it.

CamaroSS27
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Why cant you tune mopars?

Greed4Speed
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Lack of aftermarket support.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
04-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Lack of aftermarket support.

I agree. It is dumb and a huge reason why I have stuck to GM cars in the past is the tuning software and aftermarket support.

elmarro
04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I love mine with only cai sounds and runs good.

Tainted
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Look it over real close before you buy, the frony lca's in particular.

Bo White
04-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Also a lack of Chrysler indulging code info to the aftermarket tuning companies like GM and Ford do. They shoot themselves in the foot because of this. I almost bought a Challenger R/T but didnt mainly for this very reason.

CarolinaG8
04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
There's a lot of parts for the G8, but what you find usually is pretty expensive.

IZRED
04-29-2012, 10:59 AM
One thing I forgot to mention was how hard is it to get exterior parts like a hood, quarter panel, trunk lid, etc? Do they have new/OEM parts for the G8? Or is there only used? Thanks for the replies everyone.

RedHotG8
04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Usually parts are in stock or take a few days to get them. I've never had to wait longer than that for anything. Holden still makes the Commodore so parts are still being produced for the G8.

Look it over real close before you buy, the frony lca's in particular.
LCA's are an issue with almost all G8's but they are covered under warranty. I had mine replaced and they are holding up well after 3 years now.

Thebeast916
04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Get one. Cam, full exhaust, stall, brakes rims and tires and you will have one bad ass street car.

Next level, suspension, supercharger, heads, and have an even more bad ass street car

Pwebbz28
05-01-2012, 12:48 AM
I have a solid roller 416 ws6 in my garage and I have more fun in my full exhaust GXP!

TriShield
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
The interior, build and quality control is not in the same ballpark on the G8 as it is the 2011 and newer Chargers. Many G8s have widespread steering and suspension issues.

It also isn't as quiet but it does handle and perform better with much more potential for hot rodding.

The parts for the G8 are becoming hard to get and specific items like glass, body parts, suspension and interior parts that are unique to it are expensive.

IZRED
05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
The interior, build and quality control is not in the same ballpark on the G8 as it is the 2011 and newer Chargers. Many G8s have widespread steering and suspension issues.

It also isn't as quiet but it does handle and perform better with much more potential for hot rodding.

The parts for the G8 are becoming hard to get and specific items like glass, body parts, suspension and interior parts that are unique to it are expensive.

Thanks, this is the information that I wanted/needed to know.

RedHotG8
05-05-2012, 10:52 AM
The front lower control arms are the only suspension issue with the G8. I've never had any problem getting parts for my car and I've had it for over 4 years.

TonyGXP
05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Parts are reasonable, availability is terrific. look at all the custom stuff made for these (due to the commodore/Vauxhaull)

I just picked up a black with leather, '08 (one of the first "888") for a great price. Guy ran regular in it and spun a bearing (and killed the crank). I have been waiting patiently for a few years for this type of deal to come along.. Just visit your local speed shop and put the word out there what you're looking for. those types of horror stories come along now and then. right place right time.
They are holding their value better than any Pontiac in history lol. Hardest thing i am dealing with right now is Wheel choice and Engine build. I am leaning toward 5th gen camaro wheels or the 19" VMR's and a 402 stroker. Car came with ARH, All Pedders, UD pulley, CAI, newer custom grind cam (put down 366 on a mustang dyno). Looking for a solid 11.9 car on street tires, stock trans/TC.

Bo White
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
They do hold their value pretty well.
GXP version #2 on the list:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/05/05/five-future-automotive-collectibles-if-youve-got-one-these-cars-could-be/?intcmp=features

johnbell2
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
The GXP is a given but don't count out the 09.5 GT... go online and try to find one with a '9L3' VIN. You'll find them but you'll have work at it.

Basically, if you have a '9L3' in Stryker Blue or Pacific Slate Metallic hold onto it and take good care of it. I let a PSM GXP slip through my fingers when I was looking for my new car and have regretted it ever since.

forcefed6
05-13-2012, 10:20 AM
What is an LCA??

RedHotG8
05-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Lower control arm

JNR_Design
05-25-2012, 11:51 PM
What makes the 9L3 so desirable? Just wondering...

RedHotG8
05-26-2012, 01:08 AM
There was less of those cars made since it was the end of the run on the G8 by Pontiac.

johnbell2
05-26-2012, 10:58 AM
What makes the 9L3 so desirable? Just wondering...

It's true that there were fewer 09.5 models made in general. The "big list" of differences is... http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21160

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)

Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom

Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage

Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP

Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)

The ECM/TCM OS change was a big one... it's the first thing my tuner noticed when he fired it up, couldn't really use everything from tunes of older model G8s that he had in his library. His observation was it had more similarities with his Corvette tunes than anything else... not perfect 1:1 but within that general ballpark. Makes sense since the GXP has the LS3.

JNR_Design
05-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info...wow, a lot of little differences!