Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Y Pipe/Mufflex Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TSP Y Pipe/Mufflex Question

So I ordered the TSP 1 7/8" stainless LT's with their y pipe to replace my 1 3/4" Pacesetters and TSP 3" duals (12" bullets). I am going with a custom single 4" exhaust with a Magnaflow routed out the back of the car.

My question is should I get the Flowmaster 3" into 4" merge and have it fabbed into the TSP y pipe to make a smooth transition or is the TSP adequate if I just cut off the necked down section of the merge? After having the 3" duals for so long, I am fearful of rasp and I def don't want any "choke" points in the system. I am wanting a "toned" or "refined" sound

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to have to go down this road again.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm bumping this up for ya. I'm also interested to know. I think I am going to do a Mufflex 3.5 off of my TSP Y. I think I read somewhere that the TSP is 3.5 before the neck down, hence my decision on the 3.5 vs the 4. I didn't want to cut up the y pipe for a different merger. And at my power levels I think the 3.5 will be more than enough.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to go ahead and do the FM merge I guess. Do it once, do it right.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you going with their y pipe to save money? Theirs is 3" outlet which makes no sense to use if you are going to have a 4" exhaust. If you go through the added cost of a 40 or 50 dollar flowmaster merge plus the trouble or more more money if have to pay someone, then you may want to consider the mufflex y pipe also
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ I think Mufflex Y pipe is designed "only" for Hooker LT's.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can confirm that hooker, jet hot, pacesetter, ebay stainless headers, all will interchange with any of your run of the mill y pipes. I have mix matched them all. I had tghe mufflex on my pacesetters as well as ebay stainless headers. They all exit in roughly same position.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should have probably looked into the mufflex y pipe, but I already have the TSP here. I am getting the merge installed by a buddy of mine that is a fabricator (he is also doing my custom 4" exhaust).
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

I have tsp's 1 7/8 headers and bought a mufflex y-pipe that has the flowmaster 4" to 3" merge and it did not fit. From what I remember it did not line up with the passenger side.It could have fit if I cut and welded new pieces, but for what I spent on the mufflex y-pipe it would be cheaper to buy a tsp y-pipe and replace their merge for the flowmaster merge. That is the route I am in the process of.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SApache40
I have tsp's 1 7/8 headers and bought a mufflex y-pipe that has the flowmaster 4" to 3" merge and it did not fit. From what I remember it did not line up with the passenger side.It could have fit if I cut and welded new pieces, but for what I spent on the mufflex y-pipe it would be cheaper to buy a tsp y-pipe and replace their merge for the flowmaster merge. That is the route I am in the process of.

Glad to hear that I am not wasting any money then.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

The tsp merge is 3 1/2"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ad-y-pipe.html
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SApache40
...but for what I spent on the mufflex y-pipe it would be cheaper to buy a tsp y-pipe and replace their merge for the flowmaster merge.
This. The Mufflex pipe is pricey. If one is going to hack something up, it'd be more economical to get the TSP Y and throw in the FM merge.

I had asked TSP leisurely in another thread if it would be possible to get their Y with a 4" out. They did not respond (I'll give the benefit of the doubt that they missed my question), but I believe they could sell several.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
This. The Mufflex pipe is pricey. If one is going to hack something up, it'd be more economical to get the TSP Y and throw in the FM merge.

I had asked TSP leisurely in another thread if it would be possible to get their Y with a 4" out. They did not respond (I'll give the benefit of the doubt that they missed my question), but I believe they could sell several.

Agreed!

Quick Reply: TSP Y Pipe/Mufflex Question