Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No drive or 3rd but 1st and 2nd gear work

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No drive or 3rd but 1st and 2nd gear work

Alright well put a new transmission in drove it 80 miles or so. then the rear end messed up. so got a rear end with 3.42s and put it in the car. after doing that i took the car off ramp put it in drive and have no drive and no 3rd gear but can still use second and first as normal.
in order to hit 3rd i have to hit about 40mph and let off the gas and put it in third to get it to shift. then same thing about 45mph with drive.
the transmission has 98 miles on it. and still in the break in period hasnt seen half throttle since the new transmission. any ideas at all of what this could be?
reverse park and 1st and second work fine drive and third only work if im moving at a decent speed let off the gas shift it up and slowly get back on the gas. if i stay on the gas and shift it will just revv till it bounce off the limiter.
its a 1998 bone stock other than the gears that came out of a 2000-01 trans am. this is the third transmission ive had in the car in the last few months the first one was original and the second one the convertor was built wrong according to the shop.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:35 AM
12 Second Club

sounds like 3-4 clutch pack is fried. My did the same thing your talking about. took the trans apart and the 3-4 clutches were burnt and the steels were blue from being over heated. easiest way is to check your fluid and see if it smells burnt. if so its the clutch pack.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Banned

sounds like a 3-4 clutch pack to me as well as my cdar did the same exact thing...but you can have burnt smelling trans fluid and not have a bad 3-4 clutch pack

Quick Reply: No drive or 3rd but 1st and 2nd gear work