Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake manifold choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default intake manifold choice

I have put the new LS engine in my 67 camaro engine bay to design the motor mounts adapters.
I also measured the distance between the engine and the hood. (standard hood) I have 26cm, a bit more then 10". (the original truck intake have enough room, I still have 2 or 3 cm above).
I am looking to use a 90mm cable TB instead of the 76mm DBW I got with the engine. I see 3 possibilities in my budget:
-GM 90mm from a trailblazer SS
-Edelbrock Pro-flo
-Edelbrock Victor Jr + low elbow (3848)
-Edelbrock Super Victor + ultra low elbow (3847)

The heads are cathedral ports (706), the engine will be turbocharged. The trailblazer one seems to be the most complicated to get and to adapt. (fuel rail...) Edelbrock should be easier but a little bit more expensive. (but still way cheaper then FAST manifolds).

Do the Victor intake flow as good with an elbow then with a 4barrel TB? I already had a Proflo with a 90mm elebrock TB on my 383 genI and I was very happy with it. I would like to use the same TB in order to make the swap easier: no need to buy extra silicon adapters: I already have everything to go from the 3" pipe to the throttle body

What do you think I should get? Or are there other alternatives?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it will clear, I highly recommend the pro-flo. For boost, it is a VERY good intake, and quite affordable at that!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your answer. I have several opinions telling me to use the Proflo, I will go that way.
I just never saw a comparison between these intakes. I just know that the flow is not optimum with low elbows.

Quick Reply: intake manifold choice