LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New member, new car, need header advice for Missouri inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, new car, need header advice for Missouri inspection

Hi everyone. I just joined and bought a 95 Z-28 with single cat back system. I am already starting on mods, but have a question. I'm in Missouri and we're an inspection state. I want to do long tube headers and Y pipe, but I'm wondering how that would work since I have to have a CAT. Does the long tube relocate the cat or will everything be cool? I plan to do a cam, tb and 1.6RR's next, but want to start out with something that gives me a little more power/sound (already have a nice catback 3".

Any advice, or suggestions of what to do since it'll be inspected every 2 years is appreciated!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shooterkc
Hi everyone. I just joined and bought a 95 Z-28 with single cat back system. I am already starting on mods, but have a question. I'm in Missouri and we're an inspection state. I want to do long tube headers and Y pipe, but I'm wondering how that would work since I have to have a CAT. Does the long tube relocate the cat or will everything be cool? I plan to do a cam, tb and 1.6RR's next, but want to start out with something that gives me a little more power/sound (already have a nice catback 3".

Any advice, or suggestions of what to do since it'll be inspected every 2 years is appreciated!
Yes, longtubes will alter the stock location of the cat making them technically illegal....cats or not. (Although some shops don't care). Get mid-tubes if you don't want to worry about passing inspection.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You're going to have to do your homework. Call up some inspection places and ask, or go to your local track and see if there's anyone running them and ask them what they do. Technically you have to have EGR/AIR and cats in stock location for it to pass. If the headers are aftermarket the must contain an EO number from CARB. If you do not have any one of the following you can be failed by a place that goes by the book, however as mentioned some places only care if you have a catyeletic converter. Since you have a '95 what I would do is get Mac midlengths and y-pipe. Then flange a cat and a straight pipe. That way if you want to run w/out a cat you can and have a cat for inspection. Used to done and the best of both worlds before LT's were produced for the LT1.

Quick Reply: New member, new car, need header advice for Missouri inspection