Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Revving high

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revving high

Hey guys maybe you can help me with this problem.

Last Monday I went to come back up here but got off the interstate and i got to stop at the light and the thing is trying to take off on me. So I had to stop in neutral and would rev to about 2500 rpms. Everything that would work on vacuum did, the brakes weren't hard and the a/c would move the air door. So I thought the iac and took it off and cleaned it out with Amsoils power foam which works great. Let it cool down for about 30 minutes and it seemed that fixed the problem. I didn't high idle until Wednesday at a light coming home from work but it did not do it again at the next light. Thought it may be a fluke and it didn't do it again tell Saturday and then again it only happened once and not the next time I stopped. It also happened last night and I though I would just replace the valve today. So I bought a Borg Warner iac valve and I inspected it and didn't push in with me fingers. The other valve would push it with my finger but would have to pry it out so I knew the valve was dead. I put it in anyways it decreased the idle by about 500 rpms but did not completely get it back down to 600 were it normally is. I know I could have gotten a bad valve but has anyone ever had this happen before? And if so what did you do to fix this issue? And please don't tell me you got a bigger throttle body.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the smog ****(i think thats what it is) that goes into the top of the manifold off and it reved extremly high. there is an o-ring that is suppost to be in there. It could be cracked or busted up a little letting just enough air in. But when you push down on the gas may be pulling it back into place. I dont know if this helps but you can check it. I have two o-rings there to make sure when i tighten that one bolt down, they compress on each other making it tighter than usuall. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Revving high