Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Whine

Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump Whine

I have a 2002 WS6. Shortly after I bought it, the power steering pump started to whine and the power steering fluid looked like brown gravy, so I replaced the pump and the pulley. After replacing it, it still whines. It whines when turning either direction, normal turns not even full lock. When the car is cold - no whine, but once it warms up it starts. The whine also gets louder at higher rpms. Any ideas?

Last edited by kenji226; 04-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Dealing with the same problem. Except I had a hard line leak and it almost ran dry a couple times, destroyed alternaor, huge mess. My pump whines but i also feel vibration and resistance, im thinking my pump AND rack are bad but i hate to just start replacing parts.

The first thing i did was not only fix the hardline leak but i got rid of the stock power steering 'cooler' that's in the upper radiator hose. Im thinking the color of your fluid is from the radiator fluid leaking into your power steering and diluting it. This is probably what caused my hardline leak problem and probably your problem too.

I replaced the upper radiator hose with an older style one with no cooler. And added a small transmission cooler seperate for the power steering. Search on heres theres plently of threads covering the subject. If you need any help with the cooler delete/swap shoot me a message.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Fluid color is fine now six months and 500 mile later.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto also. I replaced mine.Did all the bleed steps. No bind ,the wheels turns easy. I get whine when its cold and it disapates a little after warm up. I blame the rebuilt pump and deal with it till I buy a turn on $$$

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Whine