Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0 Oil Pressure!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0 Oil Pressure!!!

Anybody had this happen? I was sitting at a light wating to make a turn, started hearing a "ticking" right after I made the turn looked at my gaugues and the oil pressure was GONE. I immediately turned into a parking lot and shut it off. Had it towed to my local dealer which was closed at the time. My car has 19600 miles and I had heads, cam, pcm tuning done one year ago this month. It's an 01 and still within warranty. I'm wondering if I'm gonna get any flak from the dealer? Of course they won't know anything about those mods until they get it started and the heads are still LS1 heads.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

First impression is that the oil pump took a dump since mods were performed a while back. Hope after the dealer replaces the pump under warranty they dont decide to charge you for it after the mods become obvious.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

They will probably not cover you just based on the headers alone. I'd be shocked if you walk out with a warranty repair on this one.

Quite a few LS1s have lost oil pumps. I thought it was mostly the '98-'00 cars though, seems like I don't really hear about that happening much with the '01 and up.

I put a ported ARE pump in mine a couple years ago when I did the cam, just to be sure. I was seeing some of the early signs of a possibile weak pump so I just swapped it out then......
Old 03-27-2004, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
They will probably not cover you just based on the headers alone. I'd be shocked if you walk out with a warranty repair on this one.

Quite a few LS1s have lost oil pumps. I thought it was mostly the '98-'00 cars though, seems like I don't really hear about that happening much with the '01 and up.

I put a ported ARE pump in mine a couple years ago when I did the cam, just to be sure. I was seeing some of the early signs of a possibile weak pump so I just swapped it out then......
Oil pressure has been perfectly consistent ever since the first day I bought the car. Before and after heads and cam. Then, wham! Today it just dropped. From what I understand the warranty will hold as long as a failed part's failure wasn't caused by an aftermarket "other" part. Is there a way that the cam could have caused the oil pumps failure? And for that matter why would the headers be a problem?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

RPM is right, they will most likely not cover it.

If you heard it ticking and were driving it at the time when you lost pressure, you may as well plan on a rebuild. The damage is done unfortunately.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was charged 180 dollars to change 2 spark plugs at the dealer after a heads and cam swap. They did not mention that it would not be covered until after the work was performed. That was three years ago, and I have done all maintance and mods to the car since. Dealers will void out the engine warranty as soon as they see the heads and cam unless you have a hook up at the dealer that will over look it.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't say a word about your mod's then if they fix it and try to charge START SCREAMING cause i THINK by law that unless the parts you installed directly wrecked the oil pump they have to cover it. Now they might try to say it's not covered but if you can find out all of the fact's about your warranty you might find the info you need then you can go get alittle loud P.S just don't swear cause then they can have you removed
Old 03-28-2004, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did the exact same thing with only 14,400 miles on it just last week. I have been told the oil pump is the least of the repairs. No oil pressure damages the bearings quickly.
I can still go to the garage start mine up, and it takes about 3 minutes for the oil pressure to drop to zero. But even while its showing pressure (20-40lbs) it still has a death tick. Damage is done.
Lousy $100 part has cost alot of people thier engines.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by destroyerSS
Don't say a word about your mod's then if they fix it and try to charge START SCREAMING cause i THINK by law that unless the parts you installed directly wrecked the oil pump they have to cover it. Now they might try to say it's not covered but if you can find out all of the fact's about your warranty you might find the info you need then you can go get alittle loud P.S just don't swear cause then they can have you removed
That's the way I understand it. I work for a dealership just not a GM dealership so I'm thinking the law is on my side unless they can link the failure to one of my aftermarket parts.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS3933
That's the way I understand it. I work for a dealership just not a GM dealership so I'm thinking the law is on my side unless they can link the failure to one of my aftermarket parts.
SS3933, Be sure to repost this when you find out what's going to happen!! Don't forget to get loud Good luck!!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The tick you hear is a lifter not pumping up...not great...but not the end of the world and certainly no cause for a rebuild. As long as you don't run it for an extended period of time without any oil pressure, the engine should be fine.

I wouldn't even bother with the dealer. They are NOT going to replace your oil pump under warranty. They can make up whatever reason they want:
"Due to the stiffer aftermarket valvesprings, the stock lifters required more oil pressure to maintain their tolerance which the stock oil pump could not provide. This resulted in it's premature failure."
or
"The aftermarket heads and camshaft placed additional loads on the engine beyond it's intended use, requiring more oil volume and pressure to maintain lubrication. This additional load stressed the oil pump into premature failure."

Now is a good time to upgrade to a ported oil pump. They cost $130 and you can install it yourself. The dealer will not install one, so it will be up to you to do it.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Well, I've been going back and forth with one dealer who will not even touch it. However, I think I have a deal with the dealer I originally bought the car from I'll just have to drive a little fu... I mean have it towed a little further.
You are all correct, they will not replace or do anything under warranty but my service manager where I work pulled some big strings and has received the "OK". I will have to a pay for some of the labor but they're gonna call me back with the details. No one has touched the car since it happened so for all I know there may be very little if any damage but I'll wait and see. Thanks for the support and replies.
The high volume oil pump is an idea I should have considered earlier but it's too late now.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the pump, do it yourself. It's a learning experience that i just did. I enjoyed it. PLUS, i know it was done right, I KNOW the car wasn't beat on when at the dealer(i've put voice activated tape recorders in cars and found out some hairy stuff), and you get the satisfaction for doing something that probably will cost you about $200 total with ported pump, crank bolt, gaskets, etc... Hell, toss in an aftermarket timing chain if you haven't already for an extra $130 tops.

Chris
Old 03-30-2004, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28kid98
Buy the pump, do it yourself. It's a learning experience that i just did. I enjoyed it. PLUS, i know it was done right, I KNOW the car wasn't beat on when at the dealer(i've put voice activated tape recorders in cars and found out some hairy stuff), and you get the satisfaction for doing something that probably will cost you about $200 total with ported pump, crank bolt, gaskets, etc... Hell, toss in an aftermarket timing chain if you haven't already for an extra $130 tops.

Chris
I will if they don't find any major damage i.e. replacing the engine. But if they do find major damage then I'm not gonna complain, at all. I will ask that if my heads, valvetrain and cam are ok, if they will leave them in there and then I will certainly do an oil pump. I feel very lucky if they will do what they say they will. We'll see though, the car is still at my work. I'm waiting for instructions right now.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing a cam and heads in and of themselves can NOT cause a catastrophic failure of the oil pump. I find this puzzling because the pump rides right on the crankshaft so it is hard to imagine how the oil pressure could fail to ZERO in just seconds. If the DRIVE and DRIVEN gears ate themselves up you would see that over time rather than as an instantaneous event. You can rule out the "O" ring since that part of the bottom end was not touched during a cam and heads install. A person that does a cam and heads install certainly isn't the type to skimp on oil changes so an overpressure situation is also unlikely. I'd like to know the answer to this one. Once your pressure drops and you get the "knock" associated with a spun bearing a tear down is inevitable.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine went to zero instantly. i parked it one night after a late night cruise. next night went to start it up and ZERO. replaced the pump, and all is well now.

forgot about the whole replacing engine thing. mine's WAAY out of warranty
Old 03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When cams and new springs break in there's lot's of metal that goes through the pump and relief valve that could possibly cause it to stick open possibly.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Installing a cam and heads in and of themselves can NOT cause a catastrophic failure of the oil pump. I find this puzzling because the pump rides right on the crankshaft so it is hard to imagine how the oil pressure could fail to ZERO in just seconds. If the DRIVE and DRIVEN gears ate themselves up you would see that over time rather than as an instantaneous event. You can rule out the "O" ring since that part of the bottom end was not touched during a cam and heads install. A person that does a cam and heads install certainly isn't the type to skimp on oil changes so an overpressure situation is also unlikely. I'd like to know the answer to this one. Once your pressure drops and you get the "knock" associated with a spun bearing a tear down is inevitable.
We found a GM Service Bulliten about a seal or oring that causes the oil to "arerate" (I think was the word they used). When my service manager heard about this bulliten he immediately came over to me grabbed the bulliten and told me not to worry. I agree 100% the pump is driven by the crankshaft so it doesn't make sense. The pump by all respects should have been turning. I'm not sure where this seal or ring is that they're referring to but apparently it was enough evidence to give my service manager something to work with. He knows these cars and the LS1 inside and out. He has several hot rods and is currently looking at a new GTO so he's played his card and apparently got someone's attention. I'm still waiting but I'll post back with the results.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a good service manager...hope it works out for you
Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Sounds like a good service manager...hope it works out for you
I just got the call. It will cost me a maximum of $450.00 even if it needs a new engine. I'm on my way!