Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[B]Tuning or Trans??[/B]

Old 03-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question [B]Tuning or Trans??[/B]

i have a 95 lt1 camaro, with a 4l60E tranny. i just had a 3.73 gear installed at a local speed shop. i had to go back to have them calibrate it because it was wet out the day they put it in. after putting 500 miles i beat the crap out of it to find out that going into 3rd gear it bounces off the rev-limiter before it shifts @ wot. they tried moving the shift points around 4 times, 8 mph. finally they said it had to be my trans slipping and that is why it is hitting the rev-limiter, (their trans guy went for a ride with me).84k on trans, but re-built by warranty 20k ago stock parts. (that time i had the same problem but with 1-2 shift.) are they trying to get my to buy a new trans or is it calibration related.also, if you let off the throttle just a hair it shifts good.
any info would help alot, or if anyone has had this problem before let me know please!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

It could be the trans, but if the problem started immeaditly after the gear install and the trans is showing no other signs of a problem, I'd guess that the tuning may still be off. How's the trans fluid look? And is the fluid level proper?

How does it shift at say, 75% throttle going into 3rd?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

i had this problem with my 99 SS since brand new and got worse with the 3:73 install hypertech helped a little but still couldn't shift out of 1st with out hittin the rev limiter... all this got solved after i installed a transgo shift kit... tranny shifts beautifly and right before my rev limiter which currently is 6300... i had it up to 6400 before transgo and would still bump the limiter brought it back down to 6300 did the shift kit = problem solved... good luck with ur project
Old 03-28-2004, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just got me a new tranny, mine was slippin on the 2-3 shirft, and if you watch the rpm's when your at WOT you can tell if its slippin or not, if the rpm's climb up constantly and just hit it, then its the tune, but if they raise up and all of a sudden go up real fast, then its the tranny because thats what mine did, at about 3/4 throttle, you could see the rpm's just jump up high after like 5500 rpm's... hope that help ya out!!
Old 03-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Default shifting

the fluid looks good, smells okay. it shifts good at like say 90%, if you back off just a hair ya know. i never really got to third gear cause i had a 2.73 and it would be at like 105 or so when that shift would take place. 1/4 mile speed @ ~98 or 99 mph before. but obviously i have gotten it up there but not real frequently. so im not to sure, but i dont remember any problem, i know i would remember that ya know. also any one else have 3.73 gears and what speeds and rpm do they shift @ wot. that might help me alot . ( mine is shifting into 3rd @ around 65mph @ ~6100 does that sound right?- shift kit- could try but that builds more pressure so if the clutches are slipping that would make it worse, because the trans makes more pressure as the rpm goes giving u a stiffer shift right?

Last edited by SMP LT1Z; 03-28-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

they say shift kits make the tranny last longer.. and some people said dont even mess with it if it is slipping, just wait til it does go out or replace it now... because i looked around when mine was doin the same thing
Old 03-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Default same thing?

so ur car was doing the same slipping or what ever thing?

Search this Thread