Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with 90 mm FAST & MTI/TPIS TBs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Guys with 90 mm FAST & MTI/TPIS TBs

What are you guys doing with the PCV system, as these TB don't have a provision to connect the passenger side valve cover? I tried putting a breather filter on, but when I hit the upper RPMs my valve cover gaskets blew. I just finished cleaning up 1.5 quarts of oil from my engine bay.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1 Power Plant
What are you guys doing with the PCV system, as these TB don't have a provision to connect the passenger side valve cover? I tried putting a breather filter on, but when I hit the upper RPMs my valve cover gaskets blew. I just finished cleaning up 1.5 quarts of oil from my engine bay.
been putting some thought into it. basically you need a source from high velocity airflow that don't experience vacuum to draw air from the valvecover. This could be done if you hook a fitting into the bellows between the maf and TB I think.

the air flowing thru the bellows would draw in some of the gas (just like the OEM TB).
Old 03-28-2004, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fireball
been putting some thought into it. basically you need a source from high velocity airflow that don't experience vacuum to draw air from the valvecover. This could be done if you hook a fitting into the bellows between the maf and TB I think.

the air flowing thru the bellows would draw in some of the gas (just like the OEM TB).
I think I might try adding a breather to both valve covers. Or maybe routing it down to a / both header collectors? Any one else have any ideas?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Good post, I had not realized this was an issue. Has anyone actually SEEN the Fast 90mm yet and are sure it doesn't have the provision?

The only problem I see with tapping the bellows would be you get crap all over the TB blade when it's closed and inside the bellows and TB... ETC. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you've ever seen the back of a TB blade on a car with more then 10k miles and it hasn't been cleaned you'll understand.

what I would suggest doing is seeing if you can modify the place where EGR should be and then putting an NPT fitting in there.

Of course if you have EGR and want to use it then you have another issue.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
Good post, I had not realized this was an issue. Has anyone actually SEEN the Fast 90mm yet and are sure it doesn't have the provision?

The only problem I see with tapping the bellows would be you get crap all over the TB blade when it's closed and inside the bellows and TB... ETC. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you've ever seen the back of a TB blade on a car with more then 10k miles and it hasn't been cleaned you'll understand.

what I would suggest doing is seeing if you can modify the place where EGR should be and then putting an NPT fitting in there.

I'm not sure if the FAST TB has it or not, but the TPIS and MTI 90 mm Throttle Bodies do not.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002

disagree. you don't want the fresh air hooked behind the Throttle blade. you only want to pull a slight vacuum on it at WOT (due to the low pressure formed by having high velocity gasflow across the opening of the port).
Old 03-29-2004, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

I talked to TPIS today. They suggested running a breather on each valve cover. Looks like it's time to fab something up.