LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

My tips/tricks for LS1 Intake and Comp 1.85 rocker install....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My tips/tricks for LS1 Intake and Comp 1.85 rocker install....

Well, I'm sure I'll be adding to this short list in the next day or so, as I'm not completely finished with the job yet. But what I DO have, will hopefully save someone from the headaches I've come across
These are all things that you can find out through the search function...but the info is spread across a ton of different threads. Maybe this will save someone some time one day....

Headache #1 - Getting the serpentine belt off isn't as easy as one would think. It isn't like other GM vehicles where you put your 15mm wrench on the tensioner and pull.... you apparently need to have a ~$100 tool to 'properly' remove the belt, otherwise you risk breaking the tensioner...which is a NASTY job to replace.
Solution that I used - Use a smooth/rounded drift pin (or something similar) to pry the belt off the top of the power steering pulley. Installing the belt is done the same way...just be sure not to pinch your fingers in there!

Headache #2 - Apparently, '06 and older LS4's use a different MAP sensor than '07 & newer. I bought an LS1 intake 'kit' from someone who took it off their car.... and they must have used their stock sensor ('06 and older LS4) to put in the back of the LS1 intake....or they used a stock LS1 map sensor...because its the same part number & connector style. It was a headache for me because I have an '07 which means the connector is totally different along with the part number... SO, my '07 LS4 sensor is different than an LS1 sensor & '06-older LS4's.
Solution that I used - What I have to do now, is rip the LS1 intake back off my F-in car, and install my stock LS4 map sensor instead.

Headache #3 - In order to install your LS1/6 intake manifold, you'll need to cut down your alternator bracket. Well, that's all fine and dandy... IF you can get the bastard off!!! There's 4 bolts that hold it in, and the very bottom one is going to **** you right the fvck off. Why? Because its located BEHIND the tensioner pulley. There's no way to get the bolt out without removing the tensioner. The two pulleys below the alternator will need to come off as well, to get to the OTHER bolt behind a pulley. Fun stuff!
Solution that I used - I used a sawzall to cut the head off the bottom bolt. I backed it out as far as I could, then cut the head off...leaving at least a 1/4" sticking out so I could grab onto it and turn it the rest of the way out with a baby vice-grip. Ughh....

Headache #4 - Comp pro magnum 1.85 rockers are a shaft mounted rocker arm. I never bought/installed adjustable rockers before, so there was a lot of internet searching to figure out the best install method. After figuring it out, I installed them per the directions on Comp's website.... and all seemed well. Turns out, these Comp rockers are ones that you need to hog out the inside of your valve covers to get them to fit. I cut out the PCV oil baffles with a dremel, and they seemed to fit. Once the car was up and running, it turns out I still have to hog the insides out some more because they were definitely hitting the covers.
Solution that I used - Charge up the dremel and start grinding!!

There's a few more things I came across, but can't think of them right now. I'll update this once I'm 100% complete. Hopefully this provides some with answers through the search function in the future. It took me awhile to search through hundreds of threads to get the answers I was looking for, and felt comfortable trusting...lol
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good stuff, you should add the info to the intake swap sticky thread
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

I wrapped the install up last night, and everything seems to be running good! The MAP sensor fix was a pain, but I figured out a solution that worked.
The '07-newer style sensor is the same one that the LS3 uses....or at least the connector is the same. I haven't compared part numbers yet, but I'm confident its the same sensor. I searched around for a LS3 to LS1 conversion/extension harness....but couldn't find the one I needed. A few places sell one, but those are for an LS1 style stock connector, to an LS3 style SENSOR. The one I needed was an LS3 style stock connector, to an LS1 style SENSOR. People do engine swaps, or even just 'upgrade' to the newer LS3 style sensor.....but nobody 'downgrades' to the LS1 style sensor....or puts an older LS1 intake w/sensor on their LS3. So I couldn't find an extension with the correct connector ends on it. Since I had the wrong extension with the wrong ends.... I used the wires from it to extend my stock wiring another 8" or so, after I swapped the sensor to my stock one. It worked just fine. It was just a PITA to solder, heat shrink, and tape up.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dom87SS
Good stuff, you should add the info to the intake swap sticky thread
Thanks!
I thought about posting the info in that thread...but its like 6 pages long now and it'd get burried where nobody would see it. Creating a new thread gives someone the chance of finding the info in a search at least, lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

being a sticky thread though, people look through them for added info as it goes on, and since it stays up top it never gets lost in the scuffle.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot about the valve covers needing modifying...looks like I need to add that to my list before I jump into it.

Quick Reply: My tips/tricks for LS1 Intake and Comp 1.85 rocker install....