LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

alchy/meth injected lt1 ? has it been done anyone running one

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default alchy/meth injected lt1 ? has it been done anyone running one

just wondering if anyone has or what never heard of it i thinking of planning a new build and exploring some options ... the fuel itself is cheaper aint it and better as far as a colder denser charge besides it has good cooling effects on a filled block .. any info?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been had it for the past 10 years. It used mostly by boosted cars. Can't say I've seen any NA guys do it but doesn't mean it can't be done.
Works great on boosted cars.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

well i know it will require large amounts of fuel i just wonder howthe factory style setup would handle it i would nee a good tune . i dont know alot about it i just wonder what are the particulars to it ... i wanna do it in a 396ci lt1 .. would be nice to have a sleeper stock loookingbig cubed lt1 on the meth
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Boost street cars use it as "chemical intercooling" and in rarer cases supplimental fueling when their fuel system is running out of capacity.

Are you talking intercooling with it or using it as the primary fuel source through the port injection?

As a primary fuel it is corrosive, used to help with a dirttrack car that ran on methanol and it can ruin a lot of stuff if not drained/flushed with gas during storage.
E85 and methanol carry some oxygen with them which allows the engine to burn more which is how they can make more HP despite containing less energy per lbs. The needing to burn a lot more means a bigger fuel system is needed to deliver the extra volume.

Boosted cars heat the intake air by compressing it meaning there is a LOT more potential gain from cooling the charge as compared to a NA car sucking in ambient temp air.

Edit:You replied while I was typing.
After reading you post it sounds like you want to use it as the multiport injected fuel, IMO waste of time and effort, going to cost a lot more money than you think, gain you less than you hope and be a constant PITA with it's corrosive and hydroscopic nature.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically what you use it for is as 96Caprice said it lowers the temp of the intake charge, it also raises the octane of the fuel, as Methanol has a higher octane rating.

Usually its Water/Meth injection. The water cools the intake charge and the methanol raises the octane so you can run higher boost. So you set your system say to inject at 15lbs of a boost so you can run up to 25lbs.

In order to run higher boost on pump gas you would have to have a super low timing. Water/Meth allows you to run pump gas but when you want it basically turns it into Turbo Blue, or C16.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Snow Performance makes a kit for na mass airflow vehicles and I will be using it on my new na setup.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you want to use it on a N/A setup? People are making over 500rwhp on pump gas.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Launching!

I will be using a Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection on my F1A but not sure why you would want to do it NA. What results do you expect from it on a NA build?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Basically what you use it for is as 96Caprice said it lowers the temp of the intake charge, it also raises the octane of the fuel, as Methanol has a higher octane rating.

Usually its Water/Meth injection. The water cools the intake charge and the methanol raises the octane so you can run higher boost. So you set your system say to inject at 15lbs of a boost so you can run up to 25lbs.

In order to run higher boost on pump gas you would have to have a super low timing. Water/Meth allows you to run pump gas but when you want it basically turns it into Turbo Blue, or C16.
They mix the meth with water to dilute it, they don't spray it separately. And methanol does a hell of a lot more cooling to the intake charge than water.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

They do not mix the water/meth to dilute the methanol.
Its usually a 50/50 mix of water/meth mixed in one container.
Its just the pros/cons of 100% methanol do not constitute running pure methanol.

The water cools down the combustion temperatures. The Methanol is just a cooler burning fuel.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-...ne-engines-51/

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

The main function of water methanol injection is preventing detonation. Detonation is caused by high temperatures and pressure developed in the combustion chamber. Water has a high latent heat content, which makes it extremely effective at preventing the onset of detonation. Water injection also reduces the production of NOx (oxides of nitrogen). Methanol, with its 116 octane and high flash point, further reduces the chances of detonation. While water is not combustible, it has a greater capacity to cool the intake air temps more than methanol alone. This is why we recommend a 50/50 mixture being misted into your boosted engine. Methanol also effectively increases the octane rating of the fuel, allowing performance gains when used in supercharged and turbocharged applications.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by saylorZ28
just wondering if anyone has or what never heard of it i thinking of planning a new build and exploring some options ... the fuel itself is cheaper aint it and better as far as a colder denser charge besides it has good cooling effects on a filled block .. any info?
If you are talking about a street car, I couldn't tell you, but on a track car I'd run a flying toilet. Very crude, but reliable.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
As a primary fuel it is corrosive, used to help with a dirttrack car that ran on methanol and it can ruin a lot of stuff if not drained/flushed with gas during storage.
Very hard on the oil and the fuel system has to be compatible too.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did not go specifically into how hard it is on the fuel system because it would have to redone just for the volume needed. Once I go back and reread though he wants to stay "stock style" so that did warrant more emphsis.

It certainly has it's place, but a street/strip car is not it.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I did not go specifically into how hard it is on the fuel system because it would have to redone just for the volume needed. Once I go back and reread though he wants to stay "stock style" so that did warrant more emphsis.

It certainly has it's place, but a street/strip car is not it.
I was adding to your information.

Quick Reply: alchy/meth injected lt1 ? has it been done anyone running one