Appearance & Detailing - keep getting pulled over for tint....any possiblee way to get tint inside the glass

Floorman279
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
bought my ss with 3%film on the glass.....got pulled over twice now and they metered it andsaid 3%.........if i can buy glass with built in tint, i can pass it as factory and say it was a government issued vehicle or hgihway patrol vehicle.......is there a company that i can buy custom glass from with tint built inside the glass? i know it owuld be pricy but the black on black on black.

z28camaross2
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
i dont think any vehicle has ever been offered with factory tinted from windows but if you really want this done your gonna most likely have to take your current windows out and bring them to a local glass shop. Here in jersey i recommend my kitchen customers to a custom glass shop. they can do anything you want so if you plan to do this you should start researching some local shops

i had 15 on my car and i kept getting pulled over wasnt worth the money so i removed the tint until my car is now longer my daily driver

dabest09
05-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I guarantee that you will not get that passed. What's the darkest % you can have in your state?

dabest09
05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
You'd probably have better luck trying to get a doctor's note for an eye or skin condition..

Latch
05-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Am I reading that correctly, 3%? How do you see out?

Floorman279
05-03-2012, 11:33 PM
pa is one of the strictest, only allowing 70%........yea i know my car probly didnt have the b4c option, but cops will never know.....if i show them that it isnt film, and it actually is inside the glass, maybe they would let me go.......i even considered buying those fake b4c police badges from fast toys performace, but didnt wanna ruin the exterior of my car......lol the first time i drove the car was at night, and backing up is terrible....i still really look left to right when backing out at night like crazy, and really inch the car. if i were to do this i would just buy used glass and get that done, then replace mine.......any idea what thpse guys in jeresy would cost

Latch
05-04-2012, 12:13 AM
A cop isn't gonna know what B4C means, so it would be a waste of time to put those badges on your car. Just have your tint done in like 35% or something reasonable. Limo tint will get you pulled in just about every state.

Floorman279
05-04-2012, 12:30 AM
no iknowc they wontknow what it means...on he badge it says police interceptor. just say it was an unmarked police intereceptor i got at a sheriffs auction. it will be a lot more convincing if they see the tint inside the glass vs external

PUNISHER TA
05-04-2012, 01:31 AM
no, that would be a huge waste of money, just get over the idea of having insanely dark tint.

ls1owner4life
05-04-2012, 03:40 AM
spray paint your window with VHT taillight tint :D

MasterV8
05-04-2012, 04:50 AM
i dont think any vehicle has ever been offered with factory tinted from windows but if you really want this done your gonna most likely have to take your current windows out and bring them to a local glass shop. Here in jersey i recommend my kitchen customers to a custom glass shop. they can do anything you want so if you plan to do this you should start researching some local shops

i had 15 on my car and i kept getting pulled over wasnt worth the money so i removed the tint until my car is now longer my daily driver

Renault & some Citroen's had front windscreen tint from the factory looks almost purple. I see them driving around and wonder how they get away with it.
My g/f got pulled by some anal police woman for having very light green tint on her Volvo and getting fined! that's after being pulled twice for speeding in that car once at night & them not saying anything about it.

30thanniversaryz
05-04-2012, 05:21 AM
A cop isn't gonna know what B4C means, so it would be a waste of time to put those badges on your car. Just have your tint done in like 35% or something reasonable. Limo tint will get you pulled in just about every state.

Ive had 4% On two mr2s, and my current camaro and haven't gotten pulled for it or even had it mentioned during a stop. Legal here is 27%.

nascarnate326
05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
no, that would be a huge waste of money, just get over the idea of having insanely dark tint.

Winner.

Get light tint if you want to scave by with legalities. I have 30% and havnt had any issues. When I had 5%, nothing but problems.

BOBS99SS
05-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Your best bet is to try an eye dr, and get a slip or go to a lighter tint, those are your only 2 options, dark tint looks great but is more hassel than its worth,i know a cop that has limo on his truck and 15% or something crazy like that on his front windshield,i asked him if he ever got pulled over,he just said no im a cop lol

WhiteKnight '01
05-04-2012, 06:14 AM
You don't want to get pulled over anymore? Then change the tint. Have it taken off and put lighter tint on there, at least 40% tint you can see through.

Cops may be dumb, but if you try lying to him and saying it was built into the glass from the factory, and if he catches you in that lie, you'll be in a lot more trouble than its worth.

LE35thSS
05-04-2012, 07:34 AM
i heard it's extremely hard to get a doctor's note for tint. couple people i know got turned away for it.

bad_408_vert
05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Your best bet is a doctor's note.

or you can wait for Electric Privacy Glass...

Latch
05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Ive had 4% On two mr2s, and my current camaro and haven't gotten pulled for it or even had it mentioned during a stop. Legal here is 27%.

Gotta love SC, y'all don't even have a helmet law down there. :)

lethal bird
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
You don't want to get pulled over anymore? Then change the tint. Have it taken off and put lighter tint on there, at least 40% tint you can see through.

"Cops may be dumb", but if you try lying to him and saying it was built into the glass from the factory, and if he catches you in that lie, you'll be in a lot more trouble than its worth.

Kinda of a jackass statement don't you think. It takes a lot to do what they do and you just sit back on the Internet and talk shit about them. Sounds like you need to learn some damn respect and walk a mile in there shoes.

Rant\

Floorman279
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
im not liking all these realistic responses on ls1tech today......lol i like the crazy stupid expensive ideas that are always getting thrown around better

9WhiteCamaro9
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
In some cases, you have to be realistic. Plain and simple.

99zee
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
In some cases, you have to be realistic. Plain and simple.

Agreed. I re-tinted mine a couple years ago. It looks ok, and no hassles. Many vehicles come with factory tinted windows. It's just not on the front side windows. I had a two door Tahoe with factory tint. I put 5% on top of that. My daughter could sit in the back seat at high noon and you couldn't see her. Just straight 5% on the front side windows.

The Mighty Texan
05-04-2012, 11:14 AM
The next time i get a ticket for it i'm just gonna switch over. Not worth the hassle anymore these days i've got better things to worry about. But, 35% is just ridiculous haha ill never be going that light.

9WhiteCamaro9
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
The next time i get a ticket for it i'm just gonna switch over. Not worth the hassle anymore these days i've got better things to worry about. But, 35% is just ridiculous haha ill never be going that light.

That's what I'm saying. I don't have tint on my windows and kinda like it that way for it being one less thing the cops can bother me with. If it's that bright outside, throw on some sunglasses and be done with it. Cheaper to buy some shades than to deal with the constant hassle of police and tickets for something as simple as window tint.

WhiteKnight '01
05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Kinda of a jackass statement don't you think. It takes a lot to do what they do and you just sit back on the Internet and talk shit about them. Sounds like you need to learn some damn respect and walk a mile in there shoes.

Rant\

Calm down, it was a generalization. And there are plenty of dumb people in every profession out there, the police force is no exception. I've seen enough police brutality, police righteousness, police arrogance, etc, and they always think they can get away with it because they're a cop. So excuse me if I have a jaded view of the police.

I appreciate what they do, and there are good cops out there, but you can't tell me that they are sparred completely of dumb cops as well.

Nathan C
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Just roll down the side windows when you see a cop.

nascarnate326
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
A lot of it depends on where you live.

In Texas I can see needing more than 35%.

Here in Michigan..5% is just too dark IMO.

karpetcm
05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Ive never bothered to tint the windows on the current Z i have. Just dont want any attention from cops as if it aint bad enough as it is with the loud exhaust, lol. Plus i hate it when i see mostly every Fbody the rear window were the top part has those circles and they tint over it you can see the bubbles or white spots and that doesnt sit well with me looks cheap.

LE35thSS
05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Gotta love SC, y'all don't even have a helmet law down there. :)

we don't have to have a front license plate either.

Floorman279
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM

once a cop was just following me, and the back hatch glass is tinted at 3% as well..........he pulled me over even tho i had the windows down, and complained about the back hatch........can they ticket me for having back hatch glass at 5%? i thought the only window i could be ticketed for is the drivers....so technically i can have 0% tint on the drivers, and 3% on back hatch and passenger window??????

anyway, he asked me to roll up my windows cause i denied having tint on the sidewindows......i said i am not required to do so.....pissed him off and ended up calling for backup lol. he then proceded to tell me he could individually right me a ticket for each window. bullshit lie.

WhiteKnight '01
05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
You must like dealing with the police and pissing them off on a daily basis.

Just get the legal tint and quit bitching about it.

TheSilverOne
05-05-2012, 12:42 PM

x2.......

VinR1
05-05-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.pilkington.com/

This is the company that makes/made the OE glass on your car. I managed a shop that purchased over $10,000 in glass from them per week and no amount of begging, pleading, or threatening to take our business elsewhere could get them to produce one pair of fbody door windows with privacy tint. Perhaps you could persuade them to... good luck

WhiteKnight '01
05-05-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.pilkington.com/

this is the company that makes/made the oe glass on your car. I managed a shop that purchased over $10,000 in glass from them per week and no amount of begging, pleading, or threatening to take our business elsewhere could get them to produce one pair of fbody door windows with privacy tint. Perhaps you could persuade them to... Good luck

rofl!!!

SparkyJJO
05-05-2012, 08:06 PM
once a cop was just following me, and the back hatch glass is tinted at 3% as well..........he pulled me over even tho i had the windows down, and complained about the back hatch........can they ticket me for having back hatch glass at 5%?

Depends on your state. Ohio has 50% max on the front side windows (blah) and no restriction on rear windows or back window.

I have no tint at all right now but I'm not sure if it is even worth getting 50% on the sides.

krissoto
05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
one way to do it, is to have a light film applied on the whole window, and then have another film applied over it, but just up to where the sensor cannot detect what the tint is. Its almost 2 inches down I believe. It takes time, and you do not know what kind of meter they are going to use, the unit they use goes on over the window, or the one they use where it applies to each side of the window, its a pretty slick lil trick.

TruBloodTransAm
05-06-2012, 12:55 AM
I can't imagine NOT having my dark ass tint! Never had any issues in TX or FL.

30thanniversaryz
05-06-2012, 01:23 AM
To the people saying "just wear sunglasses blah blah"... It's not jt about the eyes. My 4% keeps the car MUCH cooler, especially useful when it's already hitting 90+ here. Plus it saves wear on my already cracked dash andrather seats. Also, I don't like sitting on black leather that's been soaking up hot sun all day.

Floorman279
05-06-2012, 10:56 PM

hey legal tint here is 75% which guess what, is barely darker than the windshield....so legal tint pretty much means no tint

SparkyJJO
05-06-2012, 10:58 PM
hey legal tint here is 75% which guess what, is barely darker than the windshield....so legal tint pretty much means no tint

Well that sucks but if they're putting up a fuss then just deal with having no tint then.

WhiteKnight '01
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Obey the law or face the consequences. And if you really want darker tint, move to another state, or get plates from another state.

Latch
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Yes but you're much more likely to get pulled over with limo tint than with something like 35%. Put yourself in the cop's shoes, if you saw a car with completely blacked out windows, you're gonna pull that car over. If you saw a car where the windows are tinted but you could still see in, you're more likely to let it slide. It's the same as the 5 over principle... speeding 5 mph over the limit, they probably won't bother you... 15 over though, you're going down.

The Mighty Texan
05-06-2012, 11:32 PM

So what is your point.. :confused: anything even remotely close to being "dark" will be all the worse than lol.

Latch
05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
or get plates from another state.

Actually, you can still get a ticket even if your tint is legal in the state the car is registered in. I know because this was an issue recently in Virginia, all the states that border us have a 35% tint law for a while we had it at 50%. The argument for going to 35% was that it was unfair for people who live in neighboring states and would get tint tickets when they come to Virginia.

The Mighty Texan
05-06-2012, 11:41 PM
^^ That is true, and most cops seem to know tint laws pretty well i have found out lol

WhiteKnight '01
05-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Actually, you can still get a ticket even if your tint is legal in the state the car is registered in. I know because this was an issue recently in Virginia, all the states that border us have a 35% tint law for a while we had it at 50%. The argument for going to 35% was that it was unfair for people who live in neighboring states and would get tint tickets when they come to Virginia.

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding this. If I live in a state where 10% tint is legal, and I have my car registered and plated in that state and then I drive to Pennsylvania, they're going to ticket me?

Pretty sure states have to respect other states laws if you're just passing through.

Latch
05-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding this. If I live in a state where 10% tint is legal, and I have my car registered and plated in that state and then I drive to Pennsylvania, they're going to ticket me?

Yup. Same goes for all these BS laws, like front plate laws. If you live in a state that doesn't require a front license plate, then drive into a state that does, you can get a ticket for no front plate.

SparkyJJO
05-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Yup. Same goes for all these BS laws, like front plate laws. If you live in a state that doesn't require a front license plate, then drive into a state that does, you can get a ticket for no front plate.

Only a douche would ticket you for that. And you can fight it and win for pretty obvious reasons.

Floorman279
05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
i know i just need to accept it.....next time i get a ticket ill probly go to like 20-30%......the back window is fading up top anyway......no matter what ill probly drop the back hatch, since they only notice the tint during like a regular traffic stop.........i guess as they are trying to pull me over they look and see that they cant see me at all.........probly going to like 40-50 back and 20-30 side windows...

Latch
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Only a douche would ticket you for that. And you can fight it and win for pretty obvious reasons.

Not really, if you live in South Carolina and get a front plate ticket in Virginia, you might as well just pay the ticket, because fighting it means driving all the way to Virginia and back. And by no means are you guaranteed to win, because it doesn't matter what your state's laws are. There is no requirement that a state recognize the laws of other state.

WSex
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
go to an eyedoctor complain about how its very glary on the road they will give you a slip for tint
go get a new license which allows you to have legal tint
even on front windshield:)

SparkyJJO
05-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Not really, if you live in South Carolina and get a front plate ticket in Virginia, you might as well just pay the ticket, because fighting it means driving all the way to Virginia and back. And by no means are you guaranteed to win, because it doesn't matter what your state's laws are. There is no requirement that a state recognize the laws of other state.

I am calling :bs: on this simply because one state you are visiting cannot reasonably require you to have a front plate when your home state does not even provide you with one to install in the first place. It is ridiculous.

My "only a douche would ticket you for it" comment still stands, regardless. It would take a complete utter jerk to do something like that. There was a thread on here a while ago where someone mentioned he got pulled over out of state for no front plate, the cop didn't believe him that his state didn't require one, ended up calling back to the station, and was told yes that person's home state has no front plates so the cop had to let it go.

If you still insist, fine, but I've seen enough stating otherwise so I'm leaving the subject be. Not that it matters much in the long run for me anyway since Ohio does require a front plate and I'm stuck with one on my car :nono:

WhiteKnight '01
05-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Okay, I'm going to call B.S. on that one. There is no way they can ticket you for not having a front license plate if your state doesn't require it. I say this because I know people from Virginia who have out of state plates and have never had a problem.

Not to mention, my car has always had one plate only, and I've driven through many states that have front and rear plates, even been pulled over in them, and have not had this issue arise.

WhiteKnight '01
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
go to an eyedoctor complain about how its very glary on the road they will give you a slip for tint
go get a new license which allows you to have legal tint
even on front windshield:)

lol, smart.

Midnight02
05-07-2012, 03:50 PM
This one definitely falls in the "gotta pay to play" category.

I love ridiculously dark tint for all of the great reasons above (privacy, keeps it cool, headlights don't bother you at night, etc.). Everything I own has had 3% on it at one time or another. Paid 2 tint tickets and eventually got tired of dealing with it here in GA. Went to my eye doctor (already had a relationship because I wear contacts), got a note and tinted it to the max limit in GA with a Dr.'s note (20%). Sure, it's not as "cool" as the 3%, but it works and it sure is nice not playing the "am I getting ready to get pulled over for another B.S. ticket" game every time you pass by a cop car.

70% is tough. Hopefully they would exercise a bit of discretion in PA and only enforce the extreme violators (i.e. if you have 3% you're getting pulled however someone cruising around with 35% should be fine). I would do some research to find out what the legal limit is if you have a Dr.'s note and then see if it makes sense to head down that path.

At the end of the day, if you don't want problems, you have to find a way to comply.

wav3form
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM
This one definitely falls in the "gotta pay to play" category.

I love ridiculously dark tint for all of the great reasons above (privacy, keeps it cool, headlights don't bother you at night, etc.). Everything I own has had 3% on it at one time or another. Paid 2 tint tickets and eventually got tired of dealing with it here in GA. Went to my eye doctor (already had a relationship because I wear contacts), got a note and tinted it to the max limit in GA with a Dr.'s note (20%). Sure, it's not as "cool" as the 3%, but it works and it sure is nice not playing the "am I getting ready to get pulled over for another B.S. ticket" game every time you pass by a cop car.

70% is tough. Hopefully they would exercise a bit of discretion in PA and only enforce the extreme violators (i.e. if you have 3% you're getting pulled however someone cruising around with 35% should be fine). I would do some research to find out what the legal limit is if you have a Dr.'s note and then see if it makes sense to head down that path.

At the end of the day, if you don't want problems, you have to find a way to comply.

I wear contacts and I'm pretty light sensitive - what'd you ask the guy exactly?

9WhiteCamaro9
05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm going with SparkyJJo and WhiteKnight. I live in NC, no front plates here and I also worked for a construction company that was based in NC but we went all over this side of the U.S and in the 3 years I worked for them, how many times do you think we got pulled for not having a front plate... Zero. Now I'm not saying they didn't turn around if/when they passed us and seen we didn't have front plates but once they saw the NC plate on the back, they went on about there business and never bothered us unless it was late at night and the cop had nothing to do and they were following us to see if we would mess up but that's about it.

So yes, I'm calling :bs: on this as well.

dabest09
05-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I've been out of state in other states that require front plates for nearly 20 years and me or any member of my family have never been ticketed for it. I call BS. I wonder if I could get a doctors note and get 20% because my eyes are super sensitive to light. Especially in the morning. I have to cook breakfast with the lights out lol.

Latch
05-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Turns out I am wrong on the front plate thing, if your state doesn't have a front plate requirement, you cannot be issued a ticket. However, a cop is within his rights to pull you over and hold you until he checks to see if the state the car is registered in has a front plate law, and if it does then it that case you can get cited.

But you CAN get cited for window tint even if it's legal in the state the car is registered in.

Lionhearted
05-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Turns out I am wrong on the front plate thing, if your state doesn't have a front plate requirement, you cannot be issued a ticket. However, a cop is within his rights to pull you over and hold you until he checks to see if the state the car is registered in has a front plate law, and if it does then it that case you can get cited.

But you CAN get cited for window tint even if it's legal in the state the car is registered in.

Don't forget to cup the balls when you suck dick.

Latch
05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Don't forget to cup the balls when you suck dick.

Troll much?

Lionhearted
05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Troll much?

You want some golden knee pads?

You don't know shit about traffic laws, son

Latch
05-08-2012, 12:14 AM
You want some golden knee pads?

You don't know shit about traffic laws, son

Forgive me, I was only trying to help. Sometimes we get shit wrong. No need to be a dick about it. ;)

dabest09
05-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Once again, I don't think the tint laws apply in other states either.

meine96ws6
05-08-2012, 01:17 AM
This made my day... cops can obviously tell "legal from dark as hell."

Latch
05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Once again, I don't think the tint laws apply in other states either.

Maybe some states have exemptions for out-of-state cars but I know that Virginia and many other states do not have such an exemption.

http://forums.officer.com/t148308/

CamSS96
05-08-2012, 01:41 AM
I love Oklahoma traffic laws. Absolutely no annual vehicle inspections. And I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for tint. My brow on the windshield goes halfway down the front glass, and it's 5%. Most people I know get the windows tinted 5%-2.5% and then put 30%-25% on the whole front windshield. They don't care about exhaust here either.:)

01ssreda4
05-08-2012, 01:49 AM

This works 9 times outta 10.

once a cop was just following me, and the back hatch glass is tinted at 3% as well..........he pulled me over even tho i had the windows down, and complained about the back hatch........can they ticket me for having back hatch glass at 5%? i thought the only window i could be ticketed for is the drivers....so technically i can have 0% tint on the drivers, and 3% on back hatch and passenger window??????

anyway, he asked me to roll up my windows cause i denied having tint on the sidewindows......i said i am not required to do so.....pissed him off and ended up calling for backup lol. he then proceded to tell me he could individually right me a ticket for each window. bullshit lie.

Yes individual rows of seats in vehicles have different limits, meaning front and rear seats, rear area in SUVs, and rear glass can all have different specs for what's legal. And also, don't BS the cop, that only makes matters worse.

And a tip, roll your windows down when backing up, makes you so much less likely to back into something.

CamSS96
05-08-2012, 01:57 AM
True.
When I had my 05 extended cab chevy pickup. I asked the tint shop for one layer of 5% over another layer all the way around the truck, they said I could only have it on the back windows and that I could only do one layer on the front row and brow.

themealonwheels
05-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Latch is right, I've been ticketed for tint in another state.

In MS (35% all around), I was ticketed for 20% on the sides and 5% on the back with a Texas plate, Texas DL, Texas registration, Texas inspection... hell, I even showed a receipt for the tint done in Austin, TX! Didn't matter. Went to court in MS, judge (good ol' boy) upheld the ticket.

Cops... :bang:

dabest09
05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
This works 9 times outta 10.

Not when you have slow f-body windows haha

MXMattGTO
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Unless you have a skin condition or enjoy tint tickets I'd swap for lighter tint. You can go as dark as you want on the back window (in most states anyway) and that will make the sides seem darker.

TORK?
05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
To fight the law you have to have law on your own side. Like others have said, the only way to maintain dark tint legally is to have a doctor prescribe it. Visit an eye specialist and just inquire into what is involved.

In Illinois, you can have 35% legally on the front side windows. I still got questioned about it, so I had the tinting shop manger sign an affidavit stating it was legal. I brought the paper to court and got out of a tint ticket I got while the car was parked on a street.

US_Army_Z28
05-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Just move to sc. The back glass can bbe as dark as you want it and cops here cant pull you over for tint the only way they can give you a ticket for tintt is if they pull you over for something else and you have your windows up where they can see the tint. And no state inspections to worry about either