pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is a solid roller cam?

Old 03-28-2004, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Default a solid is. and a roller is.

im not exactly sure what a solid roller is but i do know that a solid cam is and what a roller cam is but a solid cam ispretty much for an all out race motor or just some crazy guy on the street looking for the ultimate performance because these cams require constant tuning as in adjusting rockers after every run. and a roller cam is just a awesome cam because of the roller lifter design because the lifter can follow the cam lobe to the very edge of the lift un like a flatt tappet hydraulic cam where the lifter falls of the lobe on a big cam because of the agressive lobe design but the lifter can only follow so far
Old 03-28-2004, 03:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdd
It's a roller cam with solid lifters
Old 03-28-2004, 04:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZL1camaro
im not exactly sure what a solid roller is but i do know that a solid cam is and what a roller cam is but a solid cam ispretty much for an all out race motor or just some crazy guy on the street looking for the ultimate performance because these cams require constant tuning as in adjusting rockers after every run. and a roller cam is just a awesome cam because of the roller lifter design because the lifter can follow the cam lobe to the very edge of the lift un like a flatt tappet hydraulic cam where the lifter falls of the lobe on a big cam because of the agressive lobe design but the lifter can only follow so far
hmmmm.......
I dont want to be mean, but never reply to post in the internal section again.
Its a cam with more aggressive lobes, and the lifters are solid where you have to adjust the lash, instead of hydraulic lifters where they automaticly compensate for the lash adjustment. They are not for all out race motors, they do not need to be adjusted after every run. A flat tapped lifter will follow every edge of a cam just as well as a roller lifter will, there are flat tappet specific cams and roller specific cams. Maybe Allan Futural will come in and explain it more than I can.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can loft a lifter off the nose of a cam with a solid roller too. It doesn't have to follow exactly. Pro stock guys do this to get more lift on their lift-regulated cams.

Solid roller is all about the lifter. A hydraulic lifter uses oil pressure to "hydraulically" take up slack in the valvetrain - making things quieter and a little easier on maintenance. A solid lifter is just that - a solid piece - where you have to use a feeler gauge to set the gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem (the lash). This is the gap that the hydraulic lifter compensates for.

Modern solid rollers don't require constant adjustment.

And the 'roller' part - there's a wheel on the bottom of the lifter that rides on the cam. That's the roller. You can have a mechanical lifter (which is just a solid lifter, no roller), a hydraulic lifter (no roller), a hydraulic roller (hydraulic lifter with wheel), or a solid roller (mechanical with wheel).

I had to adjust my valves once in 500 miles when I first got my motor. And so far, so good. No more adjustments. And 500 miles for me is quite a few passes at the strip.