Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential has major leaks and noise... (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential has major leaks and noise... (with pics)

Hey everyone, I am having some rear diff issues. To sum it up:

Recent drivetrain work:
9 months ago: new Competition stage 2 clutch
3 months ago: replaced rear diff fluid (Lucas Oil with GM additive)
1 month ago: T56, new 5th and 6th gear cluster, 5th gear, reverse syncro, and new shift pads (& new trans fluid)

Before I had the transmission fixed (5th and 6th went out), I had terrible noises coming from the rear when starting from a stop, and during slow shifting. I had to rev it up real good to get smooth engagement, and when I did not do that, the rear end sounded like it was trying to thrash out of its case. It felt like either the driveshaft was knocking the floorboard, or pieces of metal were grinding instantaneously against each other (pretty embarrassing in stop-and-go traffic on PCH). Each acceleration included one giant SMACK.

So this has gotten to be real annoying. The diff has been leaking bad for quite a while, but I have checked the fluid more than once and it always leaks out the fill plug when I loosen it indicating it is full. Tonight I inspected the entire axle. I saw typical leakage, EXCEPT the left rear axle was soaked, and fresh fluid had leaked out onto my rotor.

Is this related to the spider gears? I am wanting to get 4.10s real soon, and I have a feeling the ring and pinion is slipping, would this help at all? Our drivetrains scare the **** out of me... any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

^^^ this side is soaked, the R side is completely dry...

^^^ new and old fluid leaking along the torque arm

^^^ driveshaft spitting grime onto the undercarriage
Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

anyone??
Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

First of all you have an awful set of leaks from the pinion seal (typical, but yours is terrible), and second the bearing on the passenger side of the axle is finished also from the look of it.

Take the diff cover off also and inspect the ring for missing teeth, get a flash light and check the pinion gear also for missing and damaged teeth. Take pics, and post them up.

I'd check that u-joint at the pinion for play also.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

you need a rebuild new seals and bearings while your at it
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my gawd those are nasty leaks. look around real well in the carrier for spider teeth too. . .

btw, if you go to tackle this yourself I'm a super noob with all my recent "discoveries" fresh in my mind so pm me if you want. . .you got sime **** to do man.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Take the diff cover off also and inspect the ring for missing teeth, get a flash light and check the pinion gear also for missing and damaged teeth. Take pics, and post them up.
Here is a picture with the rear cover off from 2 weeks after I began hearing/feeling problems... Everything looks normal, except there was a ton of sludge on the magnet that collects loose metal particles. This weekend I checked the diff level (about 2 months since I changed it) and the level was still fine. Where is this all leaking from??

the bearing on the passenger side of the axle is finished also from the look of it.
Where are you seeing this? The leaking axle is on the driver side, but what bearing are you referring to?

therabidweasel --> PM sent!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM
TECH Resident

What is going on with that waxey slime **** in there? Did someone put some kind of stop leak in there? Never seen that before.

The bearing referred to is what equates to a wheel bearing on a solid axle. It's out there in the end of the axle tube where the seal is leaking, but I see no reason it should be bad just because the seal is leaking.

How many miles have you driven with this grinding?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
What is going on with that waxey slime **** in there? Did someone put some kind of stop leak in there? Never seen that before.

The bearing referred to is what equates to a wheel bearing on a solid axle. It's out there in the end of the axle tube where the seal is leaking, but I see no reason it should be bad just because the seal is leaking.

The waxy/foamy "slime" is what I believe are air bubbles from water getting into the differential. No stop leak that I know of... if the last owner did use it, it definitely did not work LOL.

I will check the wheel bearing soon, I am taking the car to firestone now to get the suspension aligned. My only loyalty to that place is having lifetime alignment, otherwise Firestone is the worse vehicle repair shop I have ever done business with.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm, water in diff can't be good. I cannot believe that water could get in but diff fluid can't get out...

Hey at least your ds turns, wtf with the weird stuff in this forum? Weird wacky stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

This, I forgot this is an LT1 car, the placement of the brake caliper led me to believe it was the passenger side, regardless the axle is leaking badly on the side pictured. As for the diff itself, it looks like the pinion seal is leaking as evidenced by the bottom of the diff and the back of the trans tunnel.

Could you get a closer picture of the pinion gear?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm, water in diff can't be good. I cannot believe that water could get in but diff fluid can't get out...
I am not positive that water got inside, it was just a possible explanation as to why the gears have that foamy substance, I hope its not water!

This, I forgot this is an LT1 car, the placement of the brake caliper led me to believe it was the passenger side, regardless the axle is leaking badly on the side pictured. As for the diff itself, it looks like the pinion seal is leaking as evidenced by the bottom of the diff and the back of the trans tunnel.

Could you get a closer picture of the pinion gear?
Thanks for the help so far guys, I will try to get better pictures of the pinion gear soon, as well as get the DS hub removed.

Quick Reply: Differential has major leaks and noise... (with pics)