Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Did you keep e-brakes?
Yes, mine were already on the new rear end
11.76%
Yes, I transferred over the shoes and hardware
70.59%
No, I ditched the e-brake
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Did You Keep Your E-brake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Did You Keep Your E-brake?

I've finally bolted a Strange S60 in place of the 10 bolt under my 02 Z28. Everything is in place except the e-brake shoe assembly. Flame suit on... I'm considering leaving the shoes off for a couple reasons but I can't imagine I am the only one who has been confronted with this decision when installing an aftermarket rear end in an F-body.

So what did you guys do? If you kept it, did you have to remove the axles on your new rear end to install the e-brake hardware?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I could not image even considering not having the E brake installed.

If your brakes ever fail, it will be the only thing between you and your death or committing homicide to the poor souls in front of you. Brake failures are rare, but it could and does happen.

Same for when you are parking, leaving it in gear or relying on the parking pin in an auto is a dangerous practice. Also that could have severe results.

I have swapped out my diff 3 times now and it always got the E brake reinstalled and set up properly.

Car manufactures put them in all cars for a reason. They do not like to waste money.

Do it right, put it back in.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RAMPANT

If your brakes ever fail, it will be the only thing between you and your death or committing homicide to the poor souls in front of you. Brake failures are rare, but it could and does happen.

Same for when you are parking, leaving it in gear or relying on the parking pin in an auto is a dangerous practice. Also that could have severe results.

I have swapped out my diff 3 times now and it always got the E brake reinstalled and set up properly.

Car manufactures put them in all cars for a reason. They do not like to waste money.

Well don't get me wrong, I WANT to put it back in. But after looking over the system on my old rear end, I don't see how it disassembles and it looks like I'd have to pull the axles on my new rear end to install. So I've looked for components for a 3 channel rear axle and can't seem to find replacement parts. Furthermore, my original components were less than effective... I could push my car around with the parking brake pulled vertical.

Some more food for thought, I was always taught to pump my brakes when I felt the brakes give out. At 50mph, you don't have much time for secondary actions to avoid vehicular homicide, so I don't think the e-brake would be an option for me in that scenario. IMO, it behaves more as a parking brake and while I would like to keep it, I can't find information on removing/installing/adjusting these components.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

I kept mine functioning. At least in Pennsylvania (Pa. Code § 175.80) it is required to be functioning or it's an inspection failure. I'm sure manufacturers are required by law to provide it.

I have used the parking (aka emergency) brake on a jeep when the hydraulic lines popped.

You could run LT1 rear calipers, the parking brake is built in to the caliper.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Whoever taught you to pump the brake if the brakes do not work does not like you very mu. Unless you got it wrong and were told to pump your brakes when the brakes lock up. Big difference. Just saying.

Anyway, not trying to bust your chops, just saying it is a really bad idea to intentionally not install them. I personally keep my brakes in peak condition, but then again I track the car and going into corners at 150mph means they better work and my ebrakes are adjusted every time work on them, which a couple times a month. Bleeding, pads etc.

Besides if anything ever happened and they found that upon further investigation, you would be paying that law suit the rest of your life, if not in jail.

I did do a look for a write up and did not find anything either has to be something on here somewhere.

If the backing plates are on your current diff, there is no need to pull the axles. Just swap the parts over. shoes, springs, clips and adjusters.

Last edited by RAMPANT; 05-05-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whoever taught you to pump the brake if the brakes do not work does not like you very mu. Unless you got it wrong and were told to pump your brakes when the brakes lock up. Big difference. Just saying.

Anyway, not trying to bust your chops, just saying it is a really bad idea to intentionally not install them. I personally keep my brakes in peak condition, but then again I track the car and going into corners at 150mph means they better work and my ebrakes are adjusted every time work on them, which a couple times a month. Bleeding, pads etc.

Besides if anything ever happened and they found that upon further investigation, you would be paying that law suit the rest of your life, if not in jail.

I did do a look for a write up and did not find anything either has to be something on here somewhere.

If the backing plates are on your current diff, there is no need to pull the axles. Just swap the parts over. shoes, springs, clips and adjusters.
Aw, my dad hates me

I understand, no offense taken. It's been one of those things I know I should do, but part of me says I don't need to... and the lack of a write-up/instructions of how to do it makes it just that much more tempting to NOT do.

I did order new rear cables and shoes/hardware, guess I'll look around and try to figure it out. Either way, I have to take the backing plates off the old rear end for my deposit, but hopefully it will provide some insight on how to install the new setup
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

I should also mention, pumping the brakes does not get you the best stopping any more since the advent of ABS. Threshold braking is the best, but if it is an emergency, stab them for all you are worth and just remember with ABS, you can still steer the car to avoid the problem. Try it some time in an empty wet or snow covered parking lot. Most people have never really tried it to know how well it works or what it will feel like when you need it.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I voted wrong by accident, meant to say I kept them.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would keep your e-brake, even if it requires a bunch of work to redo or such. You really never know when you may need it. If it didn't work well before, then you should replace it on the rotors so you actually stop when you pull it, and adjust it while your at it. I have used mine while braking before when I almost hit a deer. Without the extra stopping power of the e-brake I probably would have hurt my bumper lol.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm convinced. While I'm not sure I'd instinctively reach for my parking/e-brake in the event of a brake failure, I do want it to function in a parking lot. I'm just going to take my time disassembling the original rear end and try to reverse it the best I can on the S60.

I've ordered new rear cables (one was mangled pretty badly, I suspect this could be why it didn't work well originally), new shoes, new hardware and even new boots. Thanks for the input, guys
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave my car in 1st 99% of the time I park without the ebrake, though I do use it on steep hills and like others have said, its nice peace of mind for when the unexpected might happen
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Whoever taught you to pump the brake if the brakes do not work does not like you very mu.
Lesee... Pedal on floor, don't pump. Pray to Allah?
>
>
So has anyone tried a bat-turn with the wimpy little band brake on these cars? It's really only good to hold the car once it's parked. I doubt if it'll work a second time if you use it to stop the car in anger. Hope you got a lot of runoff room.

Don't know why you have the dilemma about installing. Did the rear end get assembled out of sequence? Mine's a Strange 12-bolt but I don't remember having this problem at all.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vexzer
>
>
So has anyone tried a bat-turn with the wimpy little band brake on these cars? It's really only good to hold the car once it's parked. I doubt if it'll work a second time if you use it to stop the car in anger. Hope you got a lot of runoff room.

Don't know why you have the dilemma about installing. Did the rear end get assembled out of sequence? Mine's a Strange 12-bolt but I don't remember having this problem at all.
My rear end was assembled with backing plates but without the e-brake components. I'm taking the old backing plates off this morning, but I thought I was pretty clear about what the dilemma was... dunno Still don't think I'll rip the e-brake/parking brake on instinct at 50+mph, but I'll take the peace of mind for parking.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Staging Lane

It takes about twenty minutes to swap the ebrake stuff over to your s60. I thought for sure I would have to pull my axles out to install them but Carl explained how to do it. I ll try to send you the directions when I get home if you haven t figured it out by then.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vexzer
>
>
There is no doubt you would try the pedal again. As for doing Bat Turns, yep! Street tires only though, and mostly in the rain. My R Compunds do not lock up as easy, and that is all my car has now, all four sets of rims and tires are Rs.

As far as distance required, absolutely it will take some extra distance, the rear brakes only account for 10-30% of the braking power and that is the disc, not the drums, but I will take something over nothing any day.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I had to remove my old backing plates anyway, so I removed an axle to take a look at how to do it. I LOL'd, took a big flat head screw driver and had the shoes off both sides in about 5 minutes... Hahaha, would have been nice to see some directions going in!

Thanks for all the input, I'll be installing my new junk later this week!

Quick Reply: Did You Keep Your E-brake?