Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter install question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter install question!

I'm doing a head swap and changing out the lifters. Do I just put the lifters in the trays and bolt them down? Or do I slide the lifters in the bore then attach the tray?

I read you insert them with the tray then use a pushrod to knock them out of the tray onto a cam lobe but my lifters don't budge from the tray.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Are you replacing with stock lifters and buckets? The stock buckets are just plastic and you wedge the lifter in by hand, so why couldn't you push it back out with a pushrod? What you read about install is correct. Lifters into buckets, oil the lifters if you didn't already, then seat in the bore til the buckets are flush to install the screw. At this point the lifters are still too high to be in contact with the cam lobes, so you push 'em down.

I helped a friend do his cam a couple weeks ago, and a few were tight. A firm push with the thumb would seat them, as would torquing the rockers down. Another clue they weren't seated was the 4+ turns to 22lb-ft, instead of the 7/8's of the rest.

Are you using the GM TDC #1 method, ensuring the first group of lifters that will land on the base circle? If not, some lobes may be on the ramp or at peak lift, and will not push down much at all.

Last edited by bartmanC5; 05-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Launching!

just a reminder soak your lifters in oil overnight make sure they are fully covered, when i did my H/C swap i put the trays in and started the tray bolts then inserted lifter, torqued the trya bolt and then pushed the lifter all the way down till they where sitting on lobes