Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability issues/problems with hotcam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability issues/problems with hotcam?

Have any of you guys with a hotcam on your car really experienced any reliability issues since you installed it? Have you had more problems with things (tranny problems (M6), rear end, engine) breaking or not running right ever since you installed it? Or have you had no problems with it? Any of you guys with the hotcam share your experiences so far with it. I have the hotcam kit, along with Jet hot LTs, and am thinking about going ahead and finally putting it in this weekend, but don't want to have much reliability issues (needed warranty work) done. Any experiences or comments would be greatly appreciated! I was thinking about just installing the headers and wait on the hotcam till my extended warranty is up, but if it does not cause a lot more problems, I will consider doing both. I will also be getting this tuned right after install. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Friend had one. His only problem was trying to get thru emissions testing. The failed the sniffer test as the car wouldn't pass with cats & MAFT. Don't know if it ever would passed with LS1Edit tuning as the car was wrecked and totaled in the end.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine in a week ago, its gonna run like *** when your first start it. Remember to clear the ECM and do the whole learning thing. I have about 150 miles on mine and it runs alot better, but I'm still gonna get it tuned.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has to be tuned or it will run like crap.Period end of story.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys! I knew tuning had to be done for sure, so I was going for that right after the install. Driveability is a must for me. So most of you guys haven't really had any problems caused by the hotcam in your cars? I also heard that there was a batch of cams that were not heat treated or something, and they messed up engines? What is that all about? I bought my kit new from a guy that never installed it. He said he purchased it in July 2003 if that helps at all. Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

I LOVE it! Tuned it myself and no problems at all. Idles, sounds, and performs great IMHO.

Check out my sound clip:
http://www.tatommy.com/Video%20Clips.htm

Tommy
Old 03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been in since July 03, and is still untuned. The idle can get a little funny at times, but its not to bad. It went in when the car had 65,000 miles on it. My clutch started to give up a little before it went in, and the cam has aggravated the situation. My rear end bearings have been making noise, and the rear is getting freshened. Other than thse two issues it has been fine. The clutch and rear were most likely on the way out, and the extra power finished the job.