Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possibly a major problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly a major problem please help!

Ok so I'm installing a new waterpump, 160 degree thermostat, hoses etc... My problem is i got the water pump torqued down just fine, but the thermostat is a whole new story. So as im torquing the thermostat housing down to 11 ft/lbs I don't ever feel or hear my torque wrench click or give so i just kept tightening. Well one of the bolt suddenly got very lose, and this is when i get very angry and smashed my wrench on the concrete. After all that i could still back this bolt out, and when it came out i didn't see any problems with the threads in the waterpump housing but i did see a hairline crack in the bolt. So i put some pressure on the bolt and it broke in my hands. My question is do you guys think my repair for this problem will be fine. I went to the hardware store and bought 2 new bolts and washers the same size and thread. I could thread the bolts in and out of the waterpump housing with no problems, I didn't feel it hanging up or anything like that. So i reinstalled the thermostat with this new hardware with ALOT of threadlock, got a new torque wrench and torqued them to spec. Is this a good fix, should i ever have to worry about this? Sorry for the essay haha, but thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails possibly a major problem please help!-thermostat-bolt.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bolt holding the tstat on should just be a bolt...nothin special, long as it gets tight.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

bout all you can do is try it. If it doesn't leak, you're good to go. If it does, you'll probably have to helicoil the hole. Keep those fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked it today and it seems fine, but i did see where the threadlock was dripping off the housing. Should i worry about the threadlock getting inside the housing and getting in the thermostat or the cooling system in general. I'm assuming that the thermostat gasket wouldn't let it in, that sound about right?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're right, the gasket should catch it. even if it doesn't, there is enough coolant in there to dillute what little sealant might breach.