Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Should I Get This WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I Get This WS6?

Considering buying this automatic 99 WS6 with 67k miles on it for $13899. It is being sold by the original owner but it has already had the transmission and rear end rebuilt. I can't figure out if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or neither. He says he's never raced it. I looked up the place he says built it, look pretty good - been in business 25 years and offer 2 year warranties on their builds. He says hes got all his receipts for everything. It's over an hour and a half away and I haven't looked at it yet. The hood has been repainted. I will be getting a loan for it and am scared because I won't be able to afford major problems if they come up. But I don't drive my Camaro anymore so I don't have a car. It burns a lot of oil, tranny leaks, and I'm afraid it'll break down on me again so I've been borrowing cars and getting rides to work for a few years and I'm tired of it.

What do you think about the price, should I try to talk him down any? On what basis should I talk him down? It's a few thousand over KBB, I could try that..
Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO it is overpriced.

Mods don't increase resale (unless buyer is willing to pay more for said mods) and rebuilt parts maintain the value, not increase it.

I would be nervous of the car with the tranny and rear end needing rebuilt with only 67K on the clock.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

That's much too high of a price for a 1999 car. If it was a 25,000 - 30,000 miles car with no issues, then yes, it would command a nice little premium, but not this one. Definitely use KBB as a bargaining chip. If he argues with that, then walk away. He will be sitting on that car for a long time. He can be in denial all he wants. No one will pay that kind of money for a 13 year old 'used' car with a history of issues. Let's be real. It is a $10,000 -$11,000 car and the seller should be happy to get it. He probably wants his tranny repair paid for. I don't understand an A4 tranny being bad at that mileage, even if the fluid was never changed. It raises red flags. Best of luck with your search!

*** I was curious. is this the car??
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...20575861&Log=0
What does he mean by an assault car?? He sounds strange. Also, that price is an ASKING price. No one pays that unless the car is extremely special. Have you offered less yet??
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that is the car listed, it says the hood as been repainted and it looks as though the headlight doors do not match.

The "assault vehicle" reference is well, odd.

Questions it raises to me is: "Assult Vehicle" shows maturity of the owner and shows what type of life it probably already has had. Supported by the early tranny and rear end rebuild.

The other question is, was it wrecked and he had it fixed on his own dime so it wouldn't show up on any vehicle history reports, and that could be the reason for the low mileage (possibly sat while waiting to get fixed?).

Go take a close look at it and see what your eyes and gut feeling is about the car and the seller. Let us know.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
If that is the car listed, it says the hood as been repainted and it looks as though the headlight doors do not match.

The "assault vehicle" reference is well, odd.

Questions it raises to me is: "Assult Vehicle" shows maturity of the owner and shows what type of life it probably already has had. Supported by the early tranny and rear end rebuild.

The other question is, was it wrecked and he had it fixed on his own dime so it wouldn't show up on any vehicle history reports, and that could be the reason for the low mileage (possibly sat while waiting to get fixed?).

Go take a close look at it and see what your eyes and gut feeling is about the car and the seller. Let us know.
"If anyone ever smoked in this car they would be ejected at 140 mph"

Do ho ho.

Do not buy. This car has a 100% chance of being beat on hard. I mean, most Firebirds were beat on, but this one has probably been WOT since the showroom floor.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, that is the listing, and yes the description is quite whacky, notice the star trek quote at the end? Damn, I'm desperate and not seeing things clearly I guess. Been lusting after a ws6 for many many years and now I may finally be able to get one and I need a car anyhow. Have only asked him a few questions, no offers yet. I'm going to talk with someone about getting a loan tomorrow to see what kind of rate I can get and how it all works with a private seller. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a while longer. What makes it harder is it kinda has to be an auto this time around, unless I can do really good convincing my wife. Still haven't owned a manual but would like to. No convertibles and no yellow also narrow things down.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

OK, thanks. Yes I did see the Star Trek quote too. Never seen that in a car ad before.
Your above use of the word 'desperate' worries me. Never rush into any vehicle and don't pressure yourself. Sure, sometimes you have to jump on a mint 10,000 miles properly priced car but there is nothing to rush about here. Take a breath and wait for that right car to appear. This is serious money and you don't want to make a mistake. Allow a full weekend for travel if necessary. Fast food, gas, and cheap Holiday Inns are nothing to spend money on to find that right car. Best of luck!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

DO NOT DO IT!
I found a 2000 a4 with 95k c5 wheels nitto race tires some other appearance mods. Routine maitenance done everything was immaculate. For the life of the car I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 it was so well taken care of, and they only wanted $8,000.
What I'm saying is, keep looking. There's always better deals out there, and an a4 is always cheaper than an m6. about 1500-2000 less from what I've seen when I was looking around.
But none the less, that price is outrageous. I saw a 2002 SS 35th anniversary edition (red with gray flag stripes all that jazz) with only 72k miles on it and they were only asking $13,000.
Keep on your search bud, it'll pay off for you in so many ways better than to just settle on the first "decent" thing you find.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to say too high. I just picked up my 99 with Suncoast hood, intake package, SSBC brake kit, and full hotchkis suspension package for 10K. It was also a one owner car with 56K on the clock.

Also the transmission should not need a rebuild that early. My 2000 had almost 100,000 on it and was still kicking after 40 track passes and some light nitrous use.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

pass on the car man. Too many red flags
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think he saw this thread, his ad now mentions nothing about any rear or tranny rebuild and no star trek quote, lol. I'm glad I saw it before.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I think he saw this thread, his ad now mentions nothing about any rear or tranny rebuild and no star trek quote, lol. I'm glad I saw it before.
Great.... I think I already feel bad for the 'future owner' of this car.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

It's over priced by at least a couple thousand dollars. And the things that would worry me have already been mentioned. Why did the hood need paint? Why the tranny and rearend rebuild?

But then again it looks mostly stock and if it had been raced and beat on it probably wouldn't. Why would anyone still have the stock air lid on a car they were racing? The exhaust is still stock too.

For me a closer look beyond pictures is needed, but if he is firm in the price I wouldn't bother, he is trying to recover his repair costs.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked up the place he told me did the tranny work and they offer 2 year and optional 4 year warranties. The original ad said the rebuilds were both in 2011, but then he said in an email that the warranties are expired. I really don't have a problem with a rebuilt tranny that's done well but for both the rear and tranny to go out in the same year doesn't look good. I know these rears tend to break on occasion but still.

If the price comes down a lot I might look into the car further and see whats really going on, but I doubt it would come down as much as I want.

Quick Reply: Should I Get This WS6?