Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane motor AND trans mount

Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prothane motor AND trans mount

How's it going guys. I have been compiling parts for my return from Afghanistan, and one of my purchases were prothane motor and trans mounts. I have read mixed opinions about running poly motor and trans mounts. Some guys say do it, others say run poly motor and rubber trans. WHAT IS THE REAL DEAL. Do I want to run both poly, or rubber trans mount? I bought them as a kit, so it would be ideal to just install both of them. The car is my daily driver, but I do not mind some added vibrations if it helps performance wise. The car is an a4.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed the poly trans mount, I love it. But then again I'm running an m6. The vibrations make the car feel more alive, it shifts smoother and there's no more tran movement. But again that's on an m6. I have the motor mounts also, just haven't had time to install them. But I'm eager to get it done.

Soldier I thank you for serving our country. I would be over there with you now if medical reasons hadn't barred me from enlisting.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
I just installed the poly trans mount, I love it. But then again I'm running an m6. The vibrations make the car feel more alive, it shifts smoother and there's no more tran movement. But again that's on an m6. I have the motor mounts also, just haven't had time to install them. But I'm eager to get it done.

Soldier I thank you for serving our country. I would be over there with you now if medical reasons hadn't barred me from enlisting.
I appreciate the reply as well as the kind words.

I am just worried about having poly for the engine AND trans mounts..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just do it. Poly motor mounts are a must IMO.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have poly motor mounts, trans mount, and torque arm mount.

I feel that all those poly components really tightened up the car and didn't add much (if any?) noise. In fact, my car made more noise with all the slop in the drivetrain due to the weak rubber mounts. My car is more of a "cruiser" than a drag racer or auto-x machine, and I wouldn't hesitate to install all the poly pieces again.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

This is gonna all come down to personal preference, I think I would go ahead and try it. If the vibrations are too much for you, pull the trans mount back out and go back to the stock rubber. Replacing the trans mount isnt that much work. Im doing the poly engine and rubber trans on an A4. After the engine goes back in, if vibes arent bad I might try that trans mount as well. My advice is feel it out.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I have them for my swap, but have not installed the motor yet. I have used them in many cars in the past and never had any complaints with them.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatever you do, do not use a poly trans mount with rubber motor mounts. i believe the rubber MMs let the engine twist while the poly TM does not. putting the stress on your tailshaft housing. i have some good pictures of what happens when the 2 disagree. i think i even made a thread about it a few years ago.

here is the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l-problem.html

here are the pics: http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l126/s346k/Camaro/

Last edited by s346k; 05-07-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s346k
whatever you do, do not use a poly trans mount with rubber motor mounts. i believe the rubber MMs let the engine twist while the poly TM does not. putting the stress on your tailshaft housing. i have some good pictures of what happens when the 2 disagree. i think i even made a thread about it a few years ago.

here is the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l-problem.html

here are the pics: http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l126/s346k/Camaro/
Yeah I heard that was bad news, did not know that happened to you? I remember mike saying you had something go wrong and spray trans fluid everywhere, but never heard the cause. That is extremely impressive! I liked that car, what was your best in that, like 12.2 bolt ons and converter?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it went 12.2s...after i sold the car, the new owner discovered the tq arm was bent hahaha. he put a new tq arm on it and new yank converter and went 12.0s..

not bad for a monkey-do setup in a car with a 3700lb+ raceweight...in indiana's awesome 2k'+ da to boot.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

yeah it went 12.2s...after i sold the car, the new owner discovered the tq arm was bent hahaha. he put a new tq arm on it and new yank converter and went 12.0s..

not bad for a monkey-do setup in a car with a 3700lb+ raceweight...in indiana's awesome 2k'+ da to boot.
thats awesome, thats my goal for Mikes car, 12.0s with bolt ons and suspension.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
How's it going guys. I have been compiling parts for my return from Afghanistan, and one of my purchases were prothane motor and trans mounts. I have read mixed opinions about running poly motor and trans mounts. Some guys say do it, others say run poly motor and rubber trans. WHAT IS THE REAL DEAL. Do I want to run both poly, or rubber trans mount?
I recommend poly engine but rubber trans mount.
I bought them as a kit, so it would be ideal to just install both of them. The car is my daily driver, but I do not mind some added vibrations if it helps performance wise. The car is an a4.

Thanks in advance.
Trust me, the added vibrations outweigh the performance by a lot. Guys run the poly trans mount but some, like me didnt leave it in for more than a day. I gave it to one of my relatives that owns a 95 TA, he couldnt stand it either & gave it back to me. Its easy to switch out though if you dont like it.

whatever you do, do not use a poly trans mount with rubber motor mounts.
BUT...you can use a rubber trans mount with poly engine mounts.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned Troll Account Created By WhiteKnight '01

Prothane motor mounts add weight to the car i heard...dont do it.

You should swap in a 7 speed transmission, more gears and you'll go faster. better bang for buck.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^seriously I hope your kidding...

I have poly trans and motor mounts, the added vibrations are not as bad as others say, but that comes down to personal preference. My car is not a Cadillac, I don't know about other peoples f bodies tho.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I just finished doing the motor and trans mounts in my wife's car. It took me 3 days to do it by myself... granted that was 8 hrs spread over those three days - semantics. The two things I will add are:

1. This isn't for a novice, especially not one lacking patience. Take the whole assembly out and re-install from the top down (motor to pedestal) with everything loosely installed; and

2. Yes, it transmits more vibration through the chassis... but, at least you know the engine and trans will stay put. Our stockers were hardened, crumbling and split.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Get a torque ARM bushing also, trans mount is easy install, motor mounts helped a lot!!!! But they suck for install, get help cause Ur gonna get stressed and its gonna take awhile, has nothing to do with mech skill level just a ***** to get to bolts
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going to be doing the engine and trans mounts at the same time. Both will be done during my header installation. I'll have my father helping me out so I don't think it will be too much trouble.

Not going to get a torque arm bushing, as I will be getting a UMI torque arm as soon as I have the cash.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the poly mm install after the headers. I didnt notice any difference. The stock motor mounts were in rough shape though so it was a must.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran both poly motor and trans mounts on my old Camaro for years - for the trans mount, I did not use the preload plate.

The poly mounts seem to "break in" after a while, so if you don't like the vibration, just give it some time. Swapping back to a rubber transmission mount is far easier than trying to do the motor mounts again, so you can easily reverse that portion of it. The poly motor mounts, IMO, were a must. As a matter of fact, I'll end up doing poly motor and trans mounts on my Viper once I get some time.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I'm just going to do both of them. Hopefully the motor mounts wont be too much trouble while the headers are off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prothane motor AND trans mount