Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum port on rear of manifold not plugged

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum port on rear of manifold not plugged

Just recently finished with the LS1 to LS6 pcv system in anticipation of more mods in the future. This is on a 98 LS1.

When I had the intake manifold off, on the rear there are two vacuum ports, one small, one large, and the map sensor. I noticed that I did not have the rear port capped. I've had this motor swap done in 2006 and 4500 miles on the car, all without this port being capped. There's a possibility it was capped long ago and got "lost" after the tranny swap. Only a few hundred miles since the swap.

After finishing up the PCV job I capped the port. This obviously made it idle lower, however, at WOT it becomes a dog. Driving around town fine, but as soon as I really get on it, theres hesitation and feels terrible. Do I need to keep it capped and run it until the PCM relearns?

Anybody know whats going on?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would check into getting it retuned. Being something small, its a good chance it wasn't there to begin with during the initial tune.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

As far as I'm concerned its never been tuned. Since I've had the motor anyways. Its a bone stock 98 ls1 I picked up in 2002. Obviously the port needs to be plugged. Does the PCM need time to "relearn" it now that there is no unfiltered air coming in? Or do I need to tune it??

Last edited by livewire0201; 05-08-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Vacuum port on rear of manifold not plugged