Ok little lost here !

Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok little lost here !

Timing chaing !

2009 pontiac G8

With a 418 lq9
I would need a ls3 4x timing chain right?

But when i pulled the motor on this car ! Same Lq9 it didnt have a ls3 timing chain but the car still started and ran ok !
I am lost here what would have happen or should have happen if timing chain was different ?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The chain set needed depends on the vehicle it is going in...not the block you are running. An 09 G8 is definitely 58X on the crank and 4X on the cam gear. With the 2X gear, it would have a hard start about 50% of the time, because that's basically all the cam gear reading is used for (to determine which cycle the engine is in, where in the firing order it is). It'll start better and easier with the correct gear for sure, and if you had any tach issues with that other set, that'd be fixed too.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok

thanks buddy ! you guys always on ball ! lol i was the one that ordered all the parts for the g8 and called yesturday! you need more phones there lol !
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I was out of the office yesterday and Monday is our busiest day of the week as far as phones go. I'm sure the other guys were just crazy busy.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok little lost here !