Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Losing coolant

I have searched this site for every possible situation and no one has had this that I can find... New ls1 short block rebuilt 317 heads new gaskets all thru motor mls head gaskets arp head studs new water pump, thermostat and housing. I am losing coolant somewhere and can't find it no drips or puddles but I smell it burning especially after wide open throttle, motor only has 1000 miles on it never over heats or smokes exhaust does not smell like coolant but about every 200 miles it needs about a quart of coolant pressure tested cap it held 15 psi tested system cold it held hot it lost 8 Psi in 30 min any input is appreciated thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

where do you smell the coolant burning after WOT? in the exhaust?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using your writing style:

Pressure test cooling system not cap by attaching pressure tester to radiator and pressurizing to rated cap pressure usually 16psi should hold pressure indefinitely but leak will drop pressure in a matter of seconds if it does listen with stethoscope at valve covers and exhaust manifolds and dipstick tube to pinpoint source if still no luck pull spark plugs and listen to each cylinder good luck
Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I smell it inside the car, I have bypassed the heater core to rule that out. If I pop the hood after WOT I smell it there too. Sorry for the long single sentence, crainholio, I type like I think when I'm trying to get it all out lol. I did test cap and radiator but I will use stethoscope as well, thanks for the advice.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A decent mechanic's stethoscope is around $20 or so at Sears and is good to have. You'll hear a hiss clearly at one or more of the locations I listed if there is a head gasket leak or crack in the cooling jacket.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant