Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

02 Z28 to SS conversion/clone

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Z28 to SS conversion/clone

Ok so I have a 2002 Z28 that the guy I bought it from was in the process of cloning into an SS. I know that the SS had the SS hood (obviously), I THINK an SS spoiler? and some extra little things to it but nothing really that big of a difference. Aside from the hood what else would be needed to 'clone' it into an SS?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What else is needed? Ambition to be a poseur.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Yes to hood and spoiler. It also has 17" wheels which were either ZR1 wheels(SLP) or the stock 17" 10 spoke wheels are came in either chrome or silver. And I also believe it has the bigger induction ram air box?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by demonspeed
lol I love the SS hood but my best friend said it would be posing lol but I still want to change the hood. Thats funny though we just had this conversation
Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Posing. Yeah considering I have more horsepower than a stock SS anyway. If you're gunna be a dick, don't reply. And yeah I've got some sort of corvette rims, not sure what kind exactly, and I have the slp airbox with a mass airflow sensor too so I guess all I need is the hood.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

This comes in about once a month with the newbs...

Do what you want with the car..Those of us in the know, know to look for the WU8 codes..

Enjoy the car..
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Cool. It'd be one thing if I had an RS that I was trying to make LOOK like an SS. So keep your negative comments to yourself. They're completely unimportant and unneeded and just make you look ignorant. Thank you those that answered my question.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Teching In

I think the suspension is different from the two.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lgjunior2
I think the suspension is different from the two.
Yeah I've heard that too, but I recently had to replace the shocks as it was so it has some bilsteins in it. Oh well.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Did the SS come with a bigger Anti Sway bar like the WS6's?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by staleycornell
Did the SS come with a bigger Anti Sway bar like the WS6's?
Yes, the rear is the same on all of them, but on the front you got 32mm on the WS6/SS, while the Z28's and T/A's got a 30mm.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fracture
Posing. Yeah considering I have more horsepower than a stock SS anyway. If you're gunna be a dick, don't reply. And yeah I've got some sort of corvette rims, not sure what kind exactly, and I have the slp airbox with a mass airflow sensor too so I guess all I need is the hood.
Its just want people will say that have SS your gonna get that whenever you do something to your car that makes it look like something else. It is your car and do what you want to it. Personally I love the look of the SS but I wanted the Z28 I bought. It wouldnt matter if your car had 1000hp someone would still say that about your car. People clone cars all the time it what THEY want to do to THEIR car.

Now as for your question.. Personally the hood and spoiler would be all you would need to change. Everything else you can upgrade with better options then a SS or SLP option (expect for the lid which you already have) best of luck and post up pictures. Also there's no need to have tough skin on a forum people are going to say things your arnt going to like. Best of luck on your project
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Launching!

the whole "poser" **** is getting old. I mean really, I have a Z with an SS hood and an SS wing with ZR1 wheels on it... big deal! I also happen to have a legit SS sitting right beside it. They just look naked with the flat hood and a flat wing. besides, the hood weighs like a million pounds less than the steel one.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would do everything except badge it but that's just me.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

You see a lot of LeMans turned to GTO's...and old Camaros cloned into Z28s...**** i wouldnt hesitate to buy a LeMans - GTO clone in a minute if it was done tasteful and correctly.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

a hood and spoiler and most wont know the difference (as long as there arent any badges). I have a z and just want the SS spoiler on it. The SS spoilers are sexy as hell.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't go putting on a bunch of ss badging. And if you didn't want to be open to other's opinions, you really shouldn't post on this board. I know ur new to here, but it's just an FYI.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
i would do everything except badge it but that's just me.
This was my point.

If you're investing the money to make it look like a SS, you could have bought a SS in the first place. But I understand wanting the hood and wing -- they look good. I don't blame you.

However, the way you worded your post was that you wanted to look like a SS. This would lead one to logically deduce you're trying to clone your car (that, and the fact that you actually said about cloning a SS). Yes, people clone cars, but that still doesn't make it what one is trying to make it be.

Further, what does having more power than a SS have to do with it? I've had both a Z28 and SS - they are the same stock for stock. Oh, and your "slp airbox with a mass airflow sensor" has nothing do with the WU8 package.

And no, I won't keep my condescending comments to myself because: 1) you asked for opinions, 2) it's the Internet, 3) I've been in an obstinate mood this week.

Last edited by demonspeed; 05-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

do what you want appearance wise but please dont badge it an ss that makes it something its not. i honestly love the way z28 sounds over ss anyway. a member on here once said " any car can be an ss only a camaro and be a z28"
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
do what you want appearance wise but please dont badge it an ss that makes it something its not. i honestly love the way z28 sounds over ss anyway. a member on here once said " any car can be an ss only a camaro and be a z28"
yeah that guy has a white z28 and that quote is priceless and super accurate. Also i hope you mean the way the words sound (z28 sounds better over ss anyway). Please tell me thats what you mean.

Quick Reply: 02 Z28 to SS conversion/clone