Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tach not working?

Well my tach has not been working for a while now. But i do have a code that says tach output faliure. If i put auto tap on the car it tells me my rpm. If i check the tach wire coming out of the computer there is not signal. So what i am asking if i get new computer will this fix it and what could have caused this. There is not grounded out wires or anything. It all started after k member install.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by White98Z
Well my tach has not been working for a while now. But i do have a code that says tach output faliure. If i put auto tap on the car it tells me my rpm.
The way the PCM reports RPM to a scan tool is different to the Tacho output signal.

If i check the tach wire coming out of the computer there is not signal.
How are you checking it?. Oscilloscope??, I guess if you measured it with a multimeter you should see about 4-7VDC.

So what i am asking if i get new computer will this fix it.
Do you want a written guarantee??, the PCM outputs are pretty robust and it takes some doing to fry them!!, maybe your tacho is actually crook and is loading the PCM Tacho output down. Can you borrow another PCM first?.

and what could have caused this. There is not grounded out wires or anything. It all started after k member install.
Well, then it sounds like it was not a natural failure.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked for a signal using a mulit meter i will see if mabe i can get another pcm to check it.