Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Hey very new to all this, need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey very new to all this, need help/advice

I have a stock 04 GTO and looking for some help. Not looking to race on a normal basis but just looking to give it some extra power. Im looking for a compleat turbo kit mostly or twin if one system is better then the other? What type is good? Any brand the best? Want to purchase very soon. Also looking to lower it an inch or 2 any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran and recomend the Eibach 1.2" drop springs. As for the turbo setups there are a few companies out there that make them, but for more/ better info you might want to post that question in the forced induction section.

Also you will notice a huge difference in handling if you upgrade to poly bushings....energy suspension carries most of them, and Pedders carries the rest
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Several companies make lowering springs as its a popular upgrade, Eibach, Pedders etc...
Before adding too much power to the car as Mark21742 mentioned make sure the suspension is up to the job.
Our GTOs have some areas of the suspension that really need some help. Things to look for are Radius Rod bushings, Strut Mount Bushings (both in the front suspension)
There are several in the rear of the car too that are good to do such as sub-frame bushings , differential mount etc..
If you are decided on going with Forced induction, the differential, half shafts and trans will need some going over as well.
I guess it all depends on how you use the car.
I dont have any leads on Turbo kits, but im sure there are several out ther to choose from. The GTOs are pricey to Mod, but overall they are well supported.
Welcome!
--Glenn
Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Launching!

GTO's were low production, lots of vendors dropping out. STS still offers rear mount turbo kits. APS had one of the better twin turbo setups, but they quit building them for the GTO. Both of these relied on oil scavenge pumps to pull oil from the low mounted turbos back up into the engine. I and a few other people are building our own single front mount systems. I plan to keep mine under 600hp to put off all the drive line mods beyond an LS7 clutch.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Be prepared to drop some serious coin on a TT set up, just adding twin hairdryers isn't where you're going to stop. You're going to need to upgrade a lot of stuff (fuel, intake m/f, throttle body, cam, clutch/tranny, professional tune just to name a few). If you search hard enough you can find a few used APS kits out there....Good luck man
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Launching!

get on ls1gto.com, go to the forced induction forum, and go to UPP twin turbo thread. Kat has a deal going on right now for a FULL TT kit, and I mean EVERYTHING you will need, for under 5k. That's unheard of, so I'd pm him on there.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat_Nick
Be prepared to drop some serious coin on a TT set up, just adding twin hairdryers isn't where you're going to stop. You're going to need to upgrade a lot of stuff (fuel, intake m/f, throttle body, cam, clutch/tranny, professional tune just to name a few). If you search hard enough you can find a few used APS kits out there....Good luck man
Serious coin might be an understatement. The list of what you should upgrade along with the turbos is going to push the cost up to more than what you bought the car for.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by M2W-GTO
get on ls1gto.com, go to the forced induction forum, and go to UPP twin turbo thread. Kat has a deal going on right now for a FULL TT kit, and I mean EVERYTHING you will need, for under 5k. That's unheard of, so I'd pm him on there.

do what he said. it is a complete kit as ive seen the UPP post on there as well..

but to the OP keep i mind that if you are 100% stock that you are going to need a clutch and a tune afterwards.. also other little things that you might need like an upgraded fuel pump probably a Walbro since most use that and then after all that comes the fact that you want to be able to get traction on street if you push it hard so then comes tires, better suspension etc.. and if you dont plan to do the install of the Tt kit yourself then add even more money towards it as shops charge alot for work.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also don't forget axles, half-shafts & drive shaft among the other things

Quick Reply: Hey very new to all this, need help/advice