Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squealling noise under decel, and just above idle.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default squealling noise under decel, and just above idle.

i posted this in external, only to find out it is inside the engine.

Car has rungreat, took it for a drive and about 5-7 miles in it starts making a high pitched whine. Thought it was a belt idler pulley, so I tried to lube them and have changed them, no dice. It's not in the drive train as it does it standing still but not at idle, just above idle at about 1500-2000 and goes away under acceleration and returns when cruising. Ac belt is off the car, so I'm thinking either water pump or alternator. The ps fluid is full, no leaks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the rain will stop I'll start the car without the belt on and see if it's still there.

as of last night, as it gets warmed up the noise is louder, and gets progressively louder. it has a 230/230 .575 cam, ls7 lifter, beehive springs, double roller timing chain, melling high volume pump with the stock pressure spring in it. ran the car with no belt on and noise is just as loud. oil pressure is fine, oil looks clean on the stick. just oil change a week ago with mobil 1 synthetic.

plan of attack is to pull the valve covers and check springs, pushrods, and valves. any advice or if anyone has the same problem itd be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a video or something?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually figured it out last night, I guess my intake manifold gasket is bad (aftermarket aluminum intake) and is allowing the crankcase to create a huge amount of vacuum, once it's enough it starts whistling from an unknown area. Once I remove the oil fill cap noise instantly stops. I put my hand ove the fill hole and it sucks my hand in pretty hard and noise returns. I have the ls6 pcv system, do I née a breather for the crankcase with it?

Quick Reply: squealling noise under decel, and just above idle.