General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Here we go again.. Quick coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Here we go again.. Quick coolant question

Hey guys,

I have a 99 TA with 23,600 miles. I am in the process of deleting the power steering cooler, with the full length upper hose coming tomorrow. I am going to run a power steering cooler to replace the stock one.

I was checking over my coolant and its Dexcool for sure. I have been reading and it says that its usually a orange clean looking colour. Mine is a light red/pink colour and the colour almost goes to clear when I put it on my hand (its very difficult to tell I have fluid on my hand its so light in colour, looks like water). The coolant looks clean and there are no debris inside of it. However, I run ATF in power steering and was wondering if I may have contamination between the coolant and ATF, based on the colour of my coolant? Am I loosing my mind haha? My ATF in power steering is a light brownish colour, doesn't smell burnt or anything. I don't want to start a thread about the pros and cons of Dexcool, etc. I just want to know if I have something to be worry about.

Thanks guys
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there are different types of Antifreeze that are compatible with both the Traditional Green and Dexcool Coolants. Most of the time they are kinda Yellow-ish in color, but I believe I have seen some that is Pink in color and sounds like what you currently have in your Cooling System. I don't think you have any contamination between your Power Steering Fluid and Coolant.

Although, if your Coolant is pretty light in color and almost clear, as you described, it may be that your Coolant/Water Mixture could be a bit light. You should check it with one of those inexpensive Coolant Mix Testers to see if its suitable for your recommended cooling needs. I live in Iowa. And although my Firebirds never see any Winter/Cold Weather Driving, I run a 50/50 Mix of Water and Dexcool in them. This Mixture results in a Bright Orange Color. It may be that you are running more Water than Antifreeze, which would explain the color.

Just last weekend I removed the Factory PS Cooler from my 2000 WS6 Formula, installed the one-piece Upper Rad Hose, and added an external aftermarket cooler. I took this opportunity to drain the Radiator completely and fill it with some fresh Dexcool. I recommend you do the same.

Good luck.