Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning LS block after machine work......................................???????? ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning LS block after machine work......................................???????? ???

Here's my questions,

1. Hot tank, sounds great, but oil passages/mains is where the time needs to spent(brushes, front to back)

2. plunger and metal plug behind oil pump(removed), Plunger is out back($5 GM part), the metal plug is behind the pump; Both of these need to be removed......(not a question here, just getting it out there)
2a. the x3 oil plugs are also removed

3. Cam bearings, remove and replace to clean?

I can see the oil passage front to back for the lifters and follow the shop manual oil passage pic; does anyone have a better understanding or experience on what areas often are missed??

Don't want to fck this up missing a critical step in the build

Thanks

Last edited by SteveDoten@ARH; 05-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please get a LS engine re-build book! Don't chance it by internet instructions
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Please get a LS engine re-build book! Don't chance it by internet instructions
I've had the book for years, I'v been working A10's and F16's in the USAF since age 18, Uncle Sam pays GE, Pratt and UTC to clean our motors

just to clear things up here, I will be cleaning the block and oil passages, just wanted to hear from someone with actual experience if there is anything specific to look out for
Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For Mine ,,,,,,I'm thinkin spraying(carb cleaner) and brushing spraying and brushing , then solvent and brushing then the do it Yourself car wash and spray the crap out of it then try and dry it there as best as I can until I get back home and blow it out really good . I would guess that high pressure spray if done thoroughly would get any remnants of grime that may be lurking in any inconspicuous places . I can also tell You this ,,,,,that My block is really clean already but You never know what could be hiding .
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Teching In

I use mild dish detergent and warm water in a bucket. I use nylon brushes to clean all the passages and bores. Then blow everything out with compressed air and finally give it a coat of WD40 on the iron stuff.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I removed everything but the cam bearings. The machine shop replaced those for me. I didnt clean it at all before the machine work but if I ever build another motor I will clean it internally and externally. I had my machine shop hot tank it, but I still ended it taping it up and wire wheeling the outside before applying enamel. I also cleaned it with mineral spirits and nylon brushed. Harbor frieght carries and nice little brush kit for $12. Also wiped the bores with atf after cleaning.

compressed air is your friend!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 PM

power washer
detergent
compressed air
brushes

I have all that, I am asking specifically if anyone understands the oil passage and route through the block and what passages would tend to be troublesome

Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

none of the passages are an issue. it was pretty easy, just be careful when cleaning the passages from the mains to the cam bearings. If the cam bearings are new you could scratch them.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I save old, plastic shower curtains for jobs like this. Place shower curtain under the engine & stand.
I like to wet the inside, thoroughly, then spray 'er inside & out (& oil passages) with engine degreaser. Let sit in the hot sun, then brush, then powerwash, or just rinse with hose sprayer.
My brother lives in 'A-bomb'.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by connecticut
power washer
detergent
compressed air
brushes

I have all that, I am asking specifically if anyone understands the oil passage and route through the block and what passages would tend to be troublesome

Thanks
Treat them all as if the engine will blow if they are not clean. I would always run the brushes through every oil passage as I washed the block and flush them all out with the pressure washer. If the cam bearing are already in, it might be difficult to thoroughly clean the passages that lead to the cam tunnel and get the debris out from behind the bearing.

Quick Reply: Cleaning LS block after machine work......................................???????? ???