LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Annoying squeal only when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying squeal only when in reverse

Sounds like front brakes hanging up. Never when driving FWD. Took front brakes apart and could make the noise with the caliper removed but not with the rotor removed. Cleaned inside the hats and found some loose asphalt but still making noise. Id hate to replace a wheel bearing for this issue? Anyone ever had something like this happen to them? No other signs of wheel bearing failure. 08 gxp w/ 43k. suspension and brakes are stock.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

it happens to me as well. Still havent found out if its coming from the brakes.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Teching In

mine did this for a year. I took the brakes apart and cleaned them 3 times. I had 2 different shops take a quick look. No one could find the problem. One day I was at my buddies shop and we lifted the car 7 feet up and could finally see the issue. When you're looking at the car up on a jack you cant see it but up high i finally found the issue. Look under the brake assembly, near the axle/hub assembly. There is a small metal tag hanging off the hub assembly. I have no idea what it was for but with a little rust it bent just enough to barely touch the rotor. I took a saw and cut it off on both sides, no more noise. Maybe not your problem but i was so happy when I found that!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Teching In

I forgot to mention, mine only did it in reverse at the beginning. Eventually it did it all the time.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Well, I guess myself and bigboymike are going tab hunting! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fixed my problem by doing the front brakes. With the rotors off it still squealed but when I put everything back on it was just fine. I was puzzled as hell but no squeal 2 weeks after the brake job. *knock on wood*
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I should add I had the same problem, annoying squeal in reverse only coming from the front wheels.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fyhgxp06
mine did this for a year. I took the brakes apart and cleaned them 3 times. I had 2 different shops take a quick look. No one could find the problem. One day I was at my buddies shop and we lifted the car 7 feet up and could finally see the issue. When you're looking at the car up on a jack you cant see it but up high i finally found the issue. Look under the brake assembly, near the axle/hub assembly. There is a small metal tag hanging off the hub assembly. I have no idea what it was for but with a little rust it bent just enough to barely touch the rotor. I took a saw and cut it off on both sides, no more noise. Maybe not your problem but i was so happy when I found that!

Thank YOU Sir, that was exactly my same finding. Reading many post I thought for sure I was in for replacing a front wheel hub, but no, it was a tab-bracket on the lower inside, dragging on the back of the caliper. I pried it away from the caliper and the squealing is gone.

Thanks again for your post.

Terry
Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM

Default squeaking in reverse

i was hearing squeaking while backing up. sometimes as brake pads wear down a small ridge will remain on the outside edge of the pad. i filed and sanded this ridge down. it solved the problem
Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was the tab on the front as well when it did this, removed the tab on both sides and was all good afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying squeal only when in reverse-imag0425.jpg  

Quick Reply: Annoying squeal only when in reverse