Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use a stock mustang tach?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody use a stock mustang tach?

I'm wiring an ex four cyl, 86 mustang with an ls1 from a 01 camaro. Using factory mustang gauges. I have all of them functioning ,but the tach. I hooked the tach out put from the pcm to the correct wire on the gauge cluster but it doesn't work that way. The mustang gauge uses a signal from the negitive side of coil. Any body know what kind of signal exits the camaro pcm? If anybody has made this work lets here it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Did you go into the tune and change the tach output as the LS PCM outputs a faster tach signal than the 'stang tach wants."
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I've read there really isn't any reason to use the stock mustang tach, it's not even close to accurate.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boostnut
From what I've read there really isn't any reason to use the stock mustang tach, it's not even close to accurate.
Unless you are like me and want all the factory gauges to work. I dont like the look of aftermarket gauges cluttering my interior.

On the tach inself under the trim panel on the tach itself there should be a little switch that sayd 4-6-8 and a flathead screw that will allow you to turn it to the correct number of cylinders. If memory serves me the GM PCM outputs a 4cyl tach signal, so you should be ok there. Just wanted you to have that info.

Some people have to use a pull-up circuit to make the signal work.

try that. hope it helps.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct on the tach not being accurate, but there are trim pots to calibrate them on the back side. I am using the factory v8 tach, had the tuner change the output. I did not need the pull up resistor. I also wanted the OEM look, no aftermarket gauges except the wideband next to the column on the cluster bezel.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zipster
Correct on the tach not being accurate, but there are trim pots to calibrate them on the back side. I am using the factory v8 tach, had the tuner change the output. I did not need the pull up resistor. I also wanted the OEM look, no aftermarket gauges except the wideband next to the column on the cluster bezel.
So you hooked up the pcm out put to the mustang pigtail and it worked? Starting to second guess if they were compatable.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust
Unless you are like me and want all the factory gauges to work. I dont like the look of aftermarket gauges cluttering my interior.

On the tach inself under the trim panel on the tach itself there should be a little switch that sayd 4-6-8 and a flathead screw that will allow you to turn it to the correct number of cylinders. If memory serves me the GM PCM outputs a 4cyl tach signal, so you should be ok there. Just wanted you to have that info.

Some people have to use a pull-up circuit to make the signal work.

try that. hope it helps.
I'm going to try this. Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sum guy
So you hooked up the pcm out put to the mustang pigtail and it worked? Starting to second guess if they were compatable.
Mine works, I connected the tach output from the computer right to the tach wire in the dash. My tuner changed the output to allow the stock tach to work.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He has an 86, I used to have one as well (stock 5.0). It has a different dash and gauges than a 93. They changed the dash in 87. He may need the pull up resistor.

Quick Reply: Anybody use a stock mustang tach?