Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!

I recently installed a LQ4 in a fox Mustang. I purchased the car as a roller, and it came with a 4 core radiator that already had electric dual fans, so I wanted to keep it. The problem I ran into was relocating the water neck, since I installed L92's and an LS3 intake. That was accomplished by removing the original water neck and having a aluminum plug welded in its place. Then tapping the boss location on the front of the water pump with a 1" npt tap. Next installing a universal water neck from Jegs for about $23. Instant water pump for car intakes.

Next came the radiator hoses. The stock location for the upper hose on the Mustang rad is on the passenger side of the car. The lower sits in the driver side. So after a few runs to my local Advance Auto Parts, who were nice enough to let me in the back to sort out what hoses I might need, I came up with this configuration.

For the upper hose I came up with part number 71732. It has a nice dip leaving the water pump which allows me to install my air cleaner with an elbow from the tb going towards the passenger side.

For the lower hose, I ended up using two hoses. Part numbers 72165, which I installed on the water pump outlet; and part number 71671 which was installed on the lower radiator inlet. To join these two hoses I had to use a 1 1/2" ID sleeve that was about 3" long. The sleeve is made from exhaust tubing ($3) for now. Here is a few pics. I'll get some more tomorrow. The last pics is the lowers before I installed the sleeve.

I hope this takes some of the guess work out of it for those doing this swap that are satisfied with their current radiator. I know lots of guys who do this swap use the f-body rad, but here is another option should you chose not to.LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!-dsc02584.jpg

LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!-dsc02585.jpg

LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!-dsc02588.jpg

LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!-dsc02590.jpg
Attached Thumbnails LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!-dsc02580.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that info! I used a universal flex upper. I got the 2 hoses you used for the lower and a 1.5" coupler. man its a tight squeeze getting the 1.5 coupler in there. 1.25 would have been a little better fit. Thanks again

Quick Reply: LSX Mustang radiator hose options!!!