Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

'98 Camaro Z28 rebuilt LQ4, MWC 9", 4L80E (updated!!!)

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '98 Camaro Z28 rebuilt LQ4, MWC 9", 4L80E (updated!!!)

Year: 1998
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Camaro
Price: $10000
Mileage: 119000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): FL
Color: Silver
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

Just as I finally started getting her together and working out the kinks, it's time for me to sell her!! Let's start with the basics:

1998 Camaro Z28. Originally a 6 speed car, but converted to 4L80E. Power windows, Power locks, Power seat, T-tops, A/C, cd player, cruise control. Originally a Canadian car.

Mods:

Engine:

Freshly built LQ4 (just about 2,000 miles on it) with stock rotating assembly, new bearings, piston rings, and fresh hone
ARP rod bolts w/ honed rods (done the right way)
flycut pistons
799 heads milled .030
PAC 1518 springs
Hardened pushrods
LS7 lifters
Comp 236/242 XER cam
GM 6.2L MLS head gaskets
ARP head bolts
LS6 intake
Ported stock TB
Kooks 1 7/8th headers
custom 3" mandrel bent y pipe to 4" flowmaster to 4" DMH cutout to stock catback
42lb injectors
racetronix fuel pump

Transmission:

4L80E from '92 van
fresh internal clutches
Jake's transbrake and VB
Rev Max 4000 billet stall (not their cheap $300 converters) w/ antibaloon plate
B&M tranny cooler
stock flexplate/spacer

Driveline:

PST 3.5" aluminum shaft
MWC fab'ed 9" with ford posi, 4.11 moser gears, 31 spline strange axles (just replaced by strange), ARP 1/2" wheel studs, back brace, powder coated black

Suspension:

Stock springs/shocks
MWC adjustable LCA's with rod ends
MWC short tq arm (tunnel mount)
MWC adjustable phb

Wheels/Tires:

17x9.5 ZR1 wheels, powder coated "black chrome" which is more like a gunmetal color
Maxxis 275/40/17's all around with about 75-80% tread left

Misc:

Engine bay painted gloss black, EGR/AIR!, SJM abs delete/line lock, wire tuck on passenger strut tower, 3 gauge A pillar pod, LC1 wideband/gauge (also tied into egr to scan a/f with hptuners standard), and berger mod w/ stainless inserts.

There's probably more little stuff that I can't remember.

Between learning that me and the wife are having triplets, and pursing a political career locally, I need to sell her. Just about everything that has been done to this car has been documented here on ls1tech. I'll provide some links, but just search my username for threads started by me and you'll find it all. I JUST GOT DONE with the 4L80e swap. I know normally that would be a little suspect, that someone would sell their project car right after a big install....but there is good reason. I started the swap in January, by selling my 6 speed stuff. I found out days later that the wife was pregnant, and in mid March we found out we were having triplets. Since I found out, I've basically been finishing the swap in order to sell her. And, now that I'm graduating from law school here in August....I decided to enter local politics and could use the extra money for campaign finances.

The car is running very well. Before the trans swap, my best run was 11.8@117mph in 1300 DA and 20 mph headwind and 1.67 60' with about 1,000 miles on the engine. With the 6 speed, it dyno'ed 399.8whp back in August with only 50 miles on the engine. I'd imagine mid 11's to low 11's would be possible in good air and around 1.5 60'. The trans also has Jake's transbrake....so awesome 60's are very possible with a good set of tires.

I have been doing the tuning since the 4l80e has gone in via hptuners. Currently running at 12.8:1 and 28 degrees timing at peak tq (using graph from old dyno) and 26 degrees after peak tq.

The car is originally a Canadian car. I'm the supposed 3rd owner. I bought it from the 2nd owner in Jacksonville, FL in Oct. of '08. I did swap out the gauge cluster to American spec (mph/miles instead of kph/km) so even though the miles say 119,000 there's only about 105,000 miles on the chassis (I know, not a big difference).

There are however some bugs that I am currently working out as the car is for sale. Here's a list of them and some other cons about the car:

Driver seat has rip in the seat
There's a slight vibration around 60-70mph (I think it's pinion angle, as I only quickly set it up at around -1.5 degrees upon initial install of 4l80e and it's goes away as speed goes up, could also be tire/wheel balance since car has sat for awhile this past year...only about 2,000 miles this year)
rear does whine from about 45mph to 65mph
Aftermarket speakers/amp that are about stock quality, amp is not secured...just sits under passenger seat
DMH cutout rattles (will be sending it off soon under warranty)
I had to dent in one of the exhaust pipes pretty bad for it to fit. Exhaust will need to be reworked from headers to merge pipe.
Small paint chips on bumper
Small section of clear coat missing from front bumper
scratch on rear bumper
replaced driver side window, so tint is slightly different than rest of windows
Wheels could use some polishing to remove imbedded brake dust

Besides what's listed, the car is in great shape for being a '98. This thing is ready/begging for a power adder! I believe $10,000 is a very reasonable price considering the 4L80E, MWC 9", and fresh LQ4. There's no way you can buy a cheap z28 and do those mods for this price! I do have access to a lift if you would like to check it out. I WILL NOT be including my hp tuners cable/software with the sale. I have my suburban and some friend's cars on the cable that I still tune for. I am open to offers but I'm not gonna go much lower than $10,000. Cash talks!! Will not take payments...Cashier's check or cash. I do have a suburban and trailer and will be willing to deliver a couple hours away for cost of gas and some extra money for food. If I start sorting out the little problems I'll be less forgiving on offers and may even ask for more than $10,000. Quickest way to contact me is to PM me or reply to this thread. I'll give out contact info via PM if interested.

Edit: Will also consider trades plus cash!!! since my plan was to spend about $3,000 on a decent car...I'll throw this out there. I'm willing to entertain trades for a car plus cash on top to equal around $9500 (since it'll save me some time and sales tax). I'm looking for a car in good condition (inside and out), preferably 4 door, and gets at least 25mpg highway. It must have working a/c. I'm NOT LOOKING for: trucks, minivans, crossovers, etc. Only 2dr/4dr cars...manual or automatic. As long as it's worth around $2,500 - $3,500 and you can throw cash on top. I.E. you have a car worth around $3,500 then I'd want you to add $6,000 on top. I already have a beater car worth $1000 that I'll be selling later as well....so no need for a crappy car!

Now here's some links and pics (car no longer has billet grill)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...ew-engine.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ap-begins.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-4-merge.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...d-my-zr1s.html

Last edited by black00ssFL; 05-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

11.8 run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rJGM...ure=plpp_video
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump it up
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for a great seller and an animal of a car. I helped the OP throughout the build and all I can say is the car was put together right with quality parts. Whoever buys this is going to be really happy with it!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump it up!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will also consider trades plus cash!!! since my plan was to spend about $3,000 on a decent car...I'll throw this out there. I'm willing to entertain trades for a car plus cash on top to equal around $9500 (since it'll save me some time and sales tax). I'm looking for a car in good condition (inside and out), preferably 4 door, and gets at least 25mpg highway. It must have working a/c. I'm NOT LOOKING for: trucks, minivans, crossovers, etc. Only 2dr/4dr cars...manual or automatic. As long as it's worth around $2,500 - $3,500 and you can throw cash on top. I.E. you have a car worth around $3,500 then I'd want you to add $6,000 on top. I already have a beater car worth $1000 that I'll be selling later as well....so no need for a crappy car!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

i have a 2007 G6 GTP silver 4dr with 75k im looking to get rid of. let me know what you think i can get pics to you if interested. even if you are not let em know what the best deal is that you can do on the vehicle.

thanks a lot

steve
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump it up!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump it up
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 AM
11 Second Club

still interested. any lights on the dash? how strong is the tranny? how much more power could it hold the way it sits?

thanks a lot

steve
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

The abs/brake lights have been on since the abs delete, however they've been covered. The only light on right now is the skip shift light (since I'm still using the 6 speed harness), however I still need to plug in the skip shift eliminator plug I have and that should get rid of the light.

Stock 4l80e's with better direct drum feeding (i.e. the vb I put in and the dual feed mod I did while installing the transbrake) handle around 700-750whp. To handle more power, billet internal parts are needed.

The engine is actually the limiting factor at this point, since it's a stockish rebuild. However, it does have properly installed ARP rod bolts, and ARP head bolts. I believe people have been making around 700whp reliably on stock lq4's with some kind of boost. Ring gaps were around .023-.025, where stock rebuilds call for around .019. So it should handle some extra boost/nitrous compared to a stock lq4. The heads would also need to be swapped if using boost, since SCR right now is around 10.8:1 with the heads milled .030. My plan was to simply swap out with a set of 317's if I put boost on this engine.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome deal. Take it down and save it til the end of the summer for me! lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, running into a snag. I went out to a local car meet last night and the trans started giving me problems. At no throttle it felt like it would disengage out of gear completely, and I'd have to give it some gas for it to get back into gear. So on the drive back to the house, the trans completely gives out 75ft from my house. Now it just free revs in all gear positions. I'm fairly certain it's the pump, as that's the only thing that hasn't been replaced/inspected when I went through the trans.

I'm actually fairly relieved that this happened now. I would feel so horrible if I sold this a couple days ago and the trans would've taken a dump on the new owner within a few days. I'm not one to screw people over, and I would of helped out whoever would have bought it, however it still wouldn't have been a good situation.

At this point, I'm going to try and find time to drop the trans and just take it to a shop to have inspected and see what's going on. So, as it sits right now I'll do $8,500 firm. After I get the trans looked at and figured out, I'll be asking for $10,000 again.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been playing with the idea of trading my 87GN for a LS1 car. I would have preferred an M6, but an automatic is okay with me. Would you be interested? You can see the mods in my sig.

Nix
Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the offer, but I'm more looking for a DD type of car and cash on top. But now that I'm asking for less, Im only going to consider just cash.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Thanks for the offer, but I'm more looking for a DD type of car and cash on top. But now that I'm asking for less, Im only going to consider just cash.
No problem! Nice car, and good luck with the sale! If you change your mind, let me know. I do use the Buick as a daily.

Nix
Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received a deposit, sale pending.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sold!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on the sale. Question if you have the info, i was wondering what the car weighed after the iron block, 4l80e and 9" install. I am in the process of building a similar set-up. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 Camaro Z28 rebuilt LQ4, MWC 9", 4L80E (updated!!!)