PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there such a thing as "most easily tunable" injector.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there such a thing as "most easily tunable" injector.

Just wondering what injectors are most hassle free during tuning. I have heard good things about I.D. and FIC. Just wondering what other peoples experiences were before I make a selection. I am talking about running e85 with injectors sized between 100-130lb/hr
Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a dumb *** so I went with ID 1000's, I even swapped back to 28lb stock injector's thinking the ID's were my buck & surge issue. I think the ID's were marginally better in the low speed.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ctd
I'm a dumb *** so I went with ID 1000's, I even swapped back to 28lb stock injector's thinking the ID's were my buck & surge issue. I think the ID's were marginally better in the low speed.
I just looked at them, and jesus H christ they are almost a grand by themselves. I know better than to skimp, but I just cannot justify that. Thanks though.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

I got the FIC 2000's and I haven't had a problem tuning them at all. I got them idling with a 1.4 IPW, much better than the other injectors I've dealt with.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they make Gold look cheap, you asked about easily tunable so I will tell my story.

When I picked up my car from the builder, it had the other brand of injector's. It was the worst POS I've ever driven in my life, could not believe a well known tuner would let something like that out his door. It would stall easily, crank & crank, burst into life then idle surge for a few minutes....unreal. I retuned, better but still awful, finally bit the big one & purchased the ID's. Immediately had to retune the VE table, by a sizable amount in the idle & low rpm columns.

A good tuner would have most likely been able to modify the injector data tables & corrected
the low rpm problems I was having.....that is beyond my tuning abilities.

Somewhere I have the screen shots of the two VE tables, brand A vs brand B, I remember it being quite dramatic change. Going back to the stock 28lb injector verified the ID's were everything as claimed.

Last edited by ctd; 05-19-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

This ^^^ is why I bought ID injectors also. Lots of posts about idle issues. Im not skimping on a street car with twins and a/c.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

so are you guys getting a good deal on these somewhere. I am looking into the bosch 127's and I have been told that the FIC 1000's are not enough injector to go with the 2000's many times already.

It sounds like with the ID's you are getting what you pay for, because it allows you to go into the tables and adjust more thoroughly in some way. But man they are almost as much as the fuel system. I hate to complain about price after paying for all the things I am paying for, it is just that it takes more time and workhours to accumulate the bread for those. We are talking a 300 dollar difference. That's money that could be put into so many other areas.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
so are you guys getting a good deal on these somewhere. I am looking into the bosch 127's and I have been told that the FIC 1000's are not enough injector to go with the 2000's many times already.

It sounds like with the ID's you are getting what you pay for, because it allows you to go into the tables and adjust more thoroughly in some way. But man they are almost as much as the fuel system. I hate to complain about price after paying for all the things I am paying for, it is just that it takes more time and workhours to accumulate the bread for those. We are talking a 300 dollar difference. That's money that could be put into so many other areas.
There's a bigger price difference than that between the FIC 2000s and ID 2000s injectors. I've got the data I can send if anyone needs it.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its more like $500 more. But with my ID2000's I did get a cool little card that says "welcome to the club."
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by some ID guys that FIC is junk...
That is bad business...

SO....I bought FIC 1600 CC injectors and they are great.
I goofed on the tables at first but it is all good now.
I have thousands of miles with them, no issues.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i believe I will be going with the new bosch 127's or the FIC 2000's. thanks guys. this was very informative.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would talk to bill over at FIC about resizing your stock 28lb injectors. i'm not exactly sure how much they can get stock injectors to flow but i was told that resized stockers are most tuner freindly.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
i would talk to bill over at FIC about resizing your stock 28lb injectors. i'm not exactly sure how much they can get stock injectors to flow but i was told that resized stockers are most tuner freindly.
i sold those a loooooooong time ago.the 60's too
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

bringing this back just in case someone stumbles upon it while considering a future injector purchase.

First off. It is undeniable that I.D. injectors are great products, but also a little bit overpriced.

FIC offers the same product, at the same level of quality if not better, and for almost 900 less. They have fantastic customer service.

Now that they are dynamic matching them, there is really no need to spend the extra cash on the other brands. You are getting a product that has been tested to the most exacting standards that you can trust.

For me, its FIC 2000's. Same Bosch part number most likely as the I.D.'s. (0280158821) However I found that ID shaves the part numbers off of their injectors, which bothers me. Meanwhile FIC lets it all hang out for everyone to see.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked my tuner about bigger injectors when i up the boost, he said to go with id and stay away from fic, he said id are way better for tuning fic are a junk. and by no means am i bashing fic since im a novice with tuning. just going what the tuner said and he is not just a barn yard tuner either for what its worth.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by +badss+
I asked my tuner about bigger injectors when i up the boost, he said to go with id and stay away from fic, he said id are way better for tuning fic are a junk. and by no means am i bashing fic since im a novice with tuning. just going what the tuner said and he is not just a barn yard tuner either for what its worth.
thing is dude....more than likely FIC is using the same injector as I.D. and they are running the same sorts of tests on there injectors. I did a bunch of searching and found that the only problems with any of the two brands were direct results of bosch's design of the particular injector being used for the application.

So we are under the likely assumption that:

A. They are both using the same/very similar bosch injectors
B. They are both flow/dynamic matching the injectors
C. They both provide valid accurate tables for tuners out of the box.
D. One costs way more than the other, and other than people saying they had a good experience with one brand, the people who have used both seem to notice no difference.....or prefer the FIC for the price vs. ID. I am buying my set tomorrow, and I do not think I will regret it. My tuner recommended ID as well, but I am going to get these and see what he thinks. I may even put them in a ziplock and tell him they are ID. just to see if he notices.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth, I am tuning a 427 turbo Silverado over the internet (yeah, no fun, but the guy is in remote Canada with no tuner near him) and it has FIC 95# injectors in it. FIC supplied all of the needed data and the truck is tuning up great! I'm really surprised at how well such a big injector is tuning up...

I know ID has top of the line stuff - not disputing that. But, for those building a medium to high end street/race car on a reasonable budget, I see no reason not to turn to FIC... Just my opinion from the results I've seen so far...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in Canada, very remote also. I really struggled to find a good tuner, with no luck. Also tried some well known tuners from the USA....not good results. This year I was in Florida on business & took a seat @ the Tuning School for a little fun. One of the dyno cars was a very nicely built SC CTSV, tuned by a famous Florida Tuner......we aborted the first Dyno run!

So I've educated myself, invested heavily, if nothing else tuners cannot BS me anymore.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ctd
I'm in Canada, very remote also. I really struggled to find a good tuner, with no luck. Also tried some well known tuners from the USA....not good results. This year I was in Florida on business & took a seat @ the Tuning School for a little fun. One of the dyno cars was a very nicely built SC CTSV, tuned by a famous Florida Tuner......we aborted the first Dyno run!

So I've educated myself, invested heavily, if nothing else tuners cannot BS me anymore.
yeah but any actual reputable tuner will tell you that a quality injector is a serious asset to have with a nice high power build. it provides better idling among other things, and you know that they are flowing identically and have been tested in every way possible to exceed expectations.

And again...although I believe ID is a top notch injector.....i think they are charging more for identical services and the gap between the two injectors is not enough to justify the damn near 1000 dollar difference.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

4 things must be changed when putting new inj,
1 offset table
2 inj pls wdth
3 inj pls wdth adder
4 ifr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there such a thing as "most easily tunable" injector.