Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPS 226/230 Cam and ARH 1 7/8 Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EPS 226/230 Cam and ARH 1 7/8 Install Questions

As the title says, I'm installing an EPS 226/230 cam (and cam package with new pushrods, dual valve springs, and titanium retainers) and ARH 1 7/8 headers in my 2002 SS in a few weeks. I'm planning on getting the stock 241 heads professionally hand ported and a 3 angle valve job by a local expert to save $ from sending them to get a CNC job.

The drive train is stock except for a Monster level 2 clutch, lightweight flywheel, rebuilt transmission, and Tick master cylinder. The motor has about 50,000 miles.

I have been reading about throttle bodies, intakes, and MAFs for a few hours.

I figured I'd look into getting a new 85 mm MAF (probably a used GM one from eBay), a new 85 mm throttle body (because I think it would be better overall than porting the stock throttle body), and porting my ls6 intake to match the heads and throttle body (the guy who is doing my heads offered to do the intake and he's done work on them before).

Questions:

1. Are the MAF, 85 mm throttle body, and/or ported ls6 intake worth it for this setup? In this thread, a sponsor stated that he has seen improvements from porting ls6 intakes, especially on cars with z06 MAF and BBK TB. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s6-intake.html I'm just asking because if there's a good possibility that it's going to be a PITA to tune with that work, and the gains on my car minimal, then I probably won't mess around with it.

2. Would it be a good idea to get bigger fuel injectors? If so, what size?

A few other things I plan on doing are: trunion upgrade, new timing chain, and new spark plugs and wires.

Would y'all recommend I do anything else?

The car is my daily driver, and I autocross. I'm just trying to get some more power with the stock bottom end, and not trying to spend too much money but get good results.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id ditch the MAF idea. Stock is fine with your setup. IDK about the throttle body/intake porting, I have no experience with those. I went from a stock LS6 to a FAST.

For injectors, 28s would be fine, you may already have them depending on the year of your car.

Id upgrade the oil pump while your in there. Maybe thinner head gaskets? Compression is your friend.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the MAF may be more of a hassle than it's worth.

My car has the 28 pound injectors. With the cam and ported heads, they won't be maxed out?

I'm still not sure if I want to mess with the compression with milling the heads and/or different head gaskets.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

I have the same cam, i wanna know the same thing before i stick my motor in. I have the factory 28lb injectors
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

As a follow up to this,

1. I ended up getting 36 pound/hr. injectors.

2. I did not port the ls6 intake, but I did a little cutting around the filter box, it's a factory SLP Blackwing, but there was some restriction on the lower plate. I don't know if it made much difference, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

3. West Coast Cylinder Heads Stage 2 243 heads, with BK springs and titanium retainers. Beautiful cylinder heads.

4. CNC ported VMAX throttle body. A lot snappier response. Excellent product.

I'm happy with the final dyno numbers - 432 rear wheel horsepower, 399 rear wheel ft./lb. torque. The car runs great, the cam has a great power band, and according to the tuner all the numbers look good. There is some bucking just above idle and around 1500-1800 RPM, but that is probably worse because I have a lightweight flywheel. Overall, I'm very happy with the end result.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same cam w/ ported 241's and my stock 28# injectors were over 90% duty cycle. I had FIC re-work them to 36# and they work great.

Quick Reply: EPS 226/230 Cam and ARH 1 7/8 Install Questions