Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

shifter handle issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shifter handle issue

Alright...this is gonna sound retarded but I think it just happened and I need some help. I have done a search and its hard with some of the pics to get a good look at what I need to see.

I have a stock hurst shifter in my 2001 SS...I bought a used H **** to swap my junk **** out with. As I attempted to take the old **** off, I had alot of trouble. I have taken ***** off before, on my old car as well, and I know it can be a little tough to start...but I ended up taking a box cutter to the leather threads, then to the rubber underneath, then using vise grips to turn the plastic insert off the stock handle. Yeah, this was a huge pain!! It seems the previous owner used Red Loctite on the threads to keep the shifter from twisting...I assume.

Anyway, I believe in twisting on the shift ****, I actually turned the stock handle inside its rubber isolator. I need to know the orientation, either pic wise or just describe which way the bend in the stock handle is supposed to face to assess whether or not it turned. It just seems to not feel right now. The bend in my stock handle now sits on the passenger side...IS it supposed to bend toward the passenger side then back down, or is it supposed to bend another way??
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Getting looks, but no info...come on fellas, someone still has a stock shifter handle and can look to see which way the bend is turned!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if this will help but its all I have
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Teching In

I still have the stock, looks like it bends to the front of the car. I took a pic, let me know if helps

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, both pics help...but the pic in the car helps the best. Mine is actually bending toward the driver side now...I thought it was still passenger but i must have twisted it more than I thought...lol. I cant believe the red locktite was that damn tough it twisted the handle around in the isolator! I thought the shifter felt funny! Thanks fellas!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Hopefully it twists back easily

Quick Reply: shifter handle issue