Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The Final Days of St. Therese Camaro and Firebird Assembly

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Final Days of St. Therese Camaro and Firebird Assembly

Not sure if anyone has posted this before. Came across it on U Tube and thought it was worth watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBzD-PfjaQ
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the members here made that video. He posted it a while ago. That lone firebird at 4:07 is a real tear jerker.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Wow, good stuff. Never thought I could actually get 'emotional' watching some video of a automobile factory LOL, Billy Joel helped a little bit with that as well.
I have owned my ordered/bought new Camaro Z28 for over 12+ years now, I suppose it's also not too uncommon to feel that way after so many joyful and trouble free miles with a car that came from that very same plant.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice and sad video, really makes me miss my Z28 and my old V6 both were amazing cars I even got to meet a few members of the Camaro team and Scott Settlemire even signed the engine bay of my V6.

To this day I would still have my old V6 (with a motor swap by now) since I loved that car and having his signature made me enjoy it even more.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool video, I love these cars. I'll have my Camaro until I'm too old to drive it
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

This video makes me sad, i will also be keeping my car FOREVER!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A local guy claims to have the last bird (sold to the public). I think it is black, haven't seen it in a while now.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Iirc the last bird was a red Trans Am vert and it is in GMs private collection. Could be wrong though.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by bigtymer386
Iirc the last bird was a red Trans Am vert and it is in GMs private collection. Could be wrong though.
True, but 'the last one' and 'the last one sold to the public' can be two different cars of course.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Who knows maybe one day they will be worth more then we payed for them... I also will try & keep my Camaro Z28 for as long as I can
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Who knows maybe one day they will be worth more then we payed for them...
Inflation is helping that along. My KBB value went up $300 between last year and this year, and I daily drive the vehicle.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check this out on ebay, supposedly the last Z28 to roll off of the assembly line. Can't believe someone paid 71k for it when new though, I almost don't believe that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...8#ht_758wt_754
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I know that it has become "cool" for some to hate on these cars now that many are worn, having been driven hard and put away wet for many years. They are old tech with old styling and aren't stuffed with gadgets and luxuries (a negative to some, but not to me) that many seem to think are a necessity even in a muscle car these days. People like to complain about 4th gen ride comfort, "refinement", interior materials, etc. Nobody was focused on those aspects of the car in 1998 when the LS1 F-body was about 100hp ahead of it's closest rival, for nearly the same base price. These cars were king of their class, in their day - and for that they will always have my respect. I realize that many of the younger crowd around here didn't get the chance to own these cars when they were brand new, and faster than any other new stock car on the road that was comparable to their MSRP. I also realize that many people's first experience with these cars have been high mileage used examples that may not have been in the best of condition. But as a person that has bought two of these cars brand new, and owned a total of four over the last 13+ years, I will always remember them for the great cars they have been to me, and the memories they have made possible that will always be recalled fondly. I have truly enjoyed all my years of owning, caring for and experiencing my 4th gen F-bodies, and I plan to keep at least one of them in my collection for the rest of my life.

Here are some color photos that I saved years ago, they are images that were also show in the video:

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-18-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I know that it has become "cool" for some to hate on these cars now that many are worn, having been driven hard and put away wet for many years. They are old tech with old styling and aren't stuffed with gadgets and luxuries (a negative to some, but not to me) that many seem to think are a necessity even in a muscle car these days. People like to complain about 4th gen ride comfort, "refinement", interior materials, etc. Nobody was focused on those things in 1998 when the LS1 F-body was about 100hp ahead of it's closest rival, for nearly the same base price. These cars were king of their class, in their day - and for that they will always have my respect. I realize that many of the younger crowd around here didn't get the chance to own these cars when they were brand new, and faster than any other new stock car on the road that was comparable to their MSRP. I also realize that many people's first experience with these cars have been high mileage used examples that may not have been in the best of condition. But as a person that has bought two of these cars brand new, and owned a total of four over the last 13+ years, I will always remember them for the great cars they have been to me, and the memories they have made possible that will always be recalled fondly. I have truly enjoyed all my years of owning, caring for and experiencing my 4th gen F-bodies, and I plan to keep at least one of them in my collection for the rest of my life.

As of right now I have NO intentions of ever selling my 2000 Z28 (12 years, 4 months and counting so far).
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i bought my 02 hardtop onyx black m6 ss brand new. with .5 miles.
i sold it to buy a home. i regret selling that car. out of all the fbodys ive owned that one hurts the most.i built the motor for it, everything. i sold it to a guy. i tried contacting him and looking for him. but never found him. i know he sold the car to someone else. i wanted to buy it back.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been toying with selling mine for a couple years now, but it represents so many things to me that I doubt I'll be able to let it go. Some people can change cars with the same frequency as they change shoes, but I grow an attachment to my vehicles.

RPM WS6 - Excellent post.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of times I really miss my Z28 even with its rattles and what not, as much as I love my GTO for its comfort and all that I still wish I had the Z28 still at many times.

To bad I couldn't have both
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I know that it has become "cool" for some to hate on these cars now that many are worn, having been driven hard and put away wet for many years. They are old tech with old styling and aren't stuffed with gadgets and luxuries (a negative to some, but not to me) that many seem to think are a necessity even in a muscle car these days. People like to complain about 4th gen ride comfort, "refinement", interior materials, etc. Nobody was focused on those aspects of the car in 1998 when the LS1 F-body was about 100hp ahead of it's closest rival, for nearly the same base price. These cars were king of their class, in their day - and for that they will always have my respect. I realize that many of the younger crowd around here didn't get the chance to own these cars when they were brand new, and faster than any other new stock car on the road that was comparable to their MSRP. I also realize that many people's first experience with these cars have been high mileage used examples that may not have been in the best of condition. But as a person that has bought two of these cars brand new, and owned a total of four over the last 13+ years, I will always remember them for the great cars they have been to me, and the memories they have made possible that will always be recalled fondly. I have truly enjoyed all my years of owning, caring for and experiencing my 4th gen F-bodies, and I plan to keep at least one of them in my collection for the rest of my life.
This is one of the best posts I've seen on this site since I've been here.

I'm a guy from the younger crowd that you speak of, I've always been into cars however. I mean, I was only 9 when my Dad bought his brand new 2002 WS6. But ever since then, F-Bodies were my favorites. To this day, they are still my absolute all time favorite cars over everything else. They represent much more than just being fast, cheap late model cars to me. So, I'm with you, I'll have other stuff, but I'm pretty much committed to my Camaro, that's not going anywhere.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my 02 Z28 back in 2/04 with 5,500 miles and it was the happiest day of my life. I was 19 years old at the time and do I have some memories with that car. Sadly I got into an accident with it and is gone forever. Even though it has been replaced by my Z06 I still miss the fun factor of the 4th gen.

Search this Thread